Howdy from Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Texas

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Gary, retired, and moved to Texas like everybody else...To be fair, my wife is a native and we're here to be close to her folks...and get out of the rain in western Washington.
    I bought this bike in 2012 for $500 out of a damp garage. I messed with it for awhile but never got it going. I ended up selling it to my brother in New Mexico and he repaired a lot of stuff and rode it until 2019. I just bought it back from him and am now beginning the process of resurrecting it. First tank had to go - it looked good but was full of pinholes from sitting in the wet garage. Brother bought an NOS tank from Ebay Finland and had it shipped to the door for $600. Funny thing is the guy had two of them in their original cartons. At any rate, I'm just getting started. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but no genius, so I thought I'd better join here and get some professional help. first order of business - went to replace the battery and found a fried mess of wires between the regulator/rectifier and I assume the generator. (Brother did say he was having trouble starting it...) I'm fighting with photos - take picture, upload to google, download to computer, upload to Imgur, copy URL, one picture per post..almost not worth the effort.
    Attached Files

Bike as it is now, more or less...
    Attached Files

Comment

Is that an '80 or '81 11E? (aka the 'lunchbox')

Welcome aboard!

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks, and sorry, it is an 81 1100E. I'll add a signature soon. Meanwhile, here's the mess I discovered under the battery:
        Attached Files

Comment

And with wires kinda separated.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey Gary, welcome. Cool bike. I see a black top end. I’m guessing the top end got swapped out with 1983 parts?
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome.

Clues to using Imgur to it's potential linked in my signature. - See - Using Imgur/Flickr
              Clues about the charging system woes also linked to my Signature. It's a typical story. - see - My Charging System sorted.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-14-2022, 03:43 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Hey Gary, welcome. Cool bike. I see a black top end. I’m guessing the top end got swapped out with 1983 parts?
                Well, it may be so. It's a bit of a mystery to me. I know the bike was dropped at one time which may be why it was parked. There is evidence of repaired damage on the right top corner of the gauge cluster, as well as a scuff on the end of the right tailpipe. along with that there are some slightly broken fins on the cylinder housing (which may be why the top end is black?) and a poor repair I just found out about on the lower engine case. I have a replacement housing for the gauge cluster but I really would like to find a good engine case eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Welcome.

Clues to using Imgur to it's potential linked in my signature. - See - Using Imgur/Flickr
                  Clues about the charging system woes also linked to my Signature. It's a typical story. - see - My Charging System sorted.
                  Thank you, Rich. I've been perusing the bewildering mountain of information available, especially on the charging system. Hopefully I'll learn enough to ask some semi-intelligent questions.

Comment

If you read my thread you’ll realize that I was (still am) an electrical noob. I asked most of the dumb questions so you don’t have to.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Redscampi View Post

Well, it may be so. It's a bit of a mystery to me. I know the bike was dropped at one time which may be why it was parked. There is evidence of repaired damage on the right top corner of the gauge cluster, as well as a scuff on the end of the right tailpipe. along with that there are some slightly broken fins on the cylinder housing (which may be why the top end is black?) and a poor repair I just found out about on the lower engine case. I have a replacement housing for the gauge cluster but I really would like to find a good engine case eventually.
                      I only asked because the GS1100 engines were silver thru 1982. In 83 they were black. If the damaged and repaired engine case is oil tight and otherwise fine, there's probably no need to replace it unless it's a personal preference. My 1150 was apparently in a nasty wreck before I bought it. It was a few years later that I found that the front mount had been completely broken off and welded back on. 23 years later it's still ok.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post

I only asked because the GS1100 engines were silver thru 1982. In 83 they were black. If the damaged and repaired engine case is oil tight and otherwise fine, there's probably no need to replace it unless it's a personal preference. My 1150 was apparently in a nasty wreck before I bought it. It was a few years later that I found that the front mount had been completely broken off and welded back on. 23 years later it's still ok.
                        That's good to hear. It looks like the repair to mine might have been done with JB Weld...

Comment

Those fried wires are most likely the result of bad/dirty connections not allowing the current to flow through and building up in the wire. Get every single electrical connection on the bike either cleaned or replaced with spade type connectors. Don't forget inside the headlight bucket.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                          X