I'm Glad I Found this Forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Glad I Found this Forum!

Hello all! My father has just parted with his 1982 GS650 and I'm sure this site will be super handy! I've posted a little project intro video on my YouTube channel if anyone would like to check out the bike. I'd also appreciate any thoughts on the bike. I may be in the market for a few parts if I want to keep it stock and it looks like eBay was pretty slim pick'ns. From what I gather, this is a GS 650 GS, can anyone confirm? I looked at the identification table but I've seen this model identified as something else on other sites.

small3.jpg

At any rate, I'm happy to be here! Any info, tips, tricks, would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome. Looks like a nice and complete bike. Good luck and keep us posted.

Your bike is a GS 650G. G denoting a shaft drive.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks, well I guess I should have had some faith in the side panels. haha Yeah, I"m hoping that it's mechanically sound. It only has just over 10k miles.

The oil filter and plugs should be here Saturday.

Comment

Other then electronics, the GS range is legendary for reliability. 10k miles is nothing. Keep in mind however that it is 30 plus years old and some things will need addressing.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I always liked the tail section on the GS 650. Welcome to the forum
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Dork, you forgot the Z, GS650GZ... Always a letter at end to indicate yr. model, Z is "82" model. If you haven't already go to home page & look at model info. Pretty informative for someone who may not know how they do it.. Oh yeah, welcome.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome. All you need to know about these bikes is right here. What isn't in print is in the heads of the collective gurus.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Welcome! I'll be working on my '81 650G concurrently as you fix yours up so I'm sure we'll have a lot of the same questions etc.
                Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  I always liked the tail section on the GS 650. Welcome to the forum
                  Me too, sporty for a G. haha.

LOW mileage, mostly stock is a great starting point.

More importantly...what's the name of your dog?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for all the info! It's great to see that forums still exist autonomous from the Meta Universe (Facebook). Koner (don't ask about the spelling) is my garage buddy. I almost feel guilty when I'm working on something and getting to the point of taking it for a test drive and he can't go. Looks like I'll need a side-car for the GS!

I plan to go out tonight and start draining fluids. I haven't looked to see where the fuel line feeds the carbs. But I'd like to pull that to drain the old gas. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out there tonight.
                    Do you think leaving it stock is the way to go?

Not quite Friday, but I can it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by NoGripes View Post
                      Do you think leaving it stock is the way to go?
                      I would start there. Get everything running/riding correctly, first.
                      It will take considerable time and some cash to get her up and running stock.

Of course it is your bike... You can do what you want.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Another vote for leaving it stock until you get it running properly, then you can make all the changes you like.

Of course these are only suggestions and it is your bike after all.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Do you realize how rare 40 yr. old all original bikes have gotten? I'm amazed you wound up with this one. Keeping it all orig. will gradually be harder & harder, but my opinion, that's what you asked for, keep it as orig. as possible for as long as possible.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yeah, I've found the OEM turn signal lens and bracket in case I can't tweak this one back into shape. I 'm hoping that I can get the headlight mount back into round as well. I figured keeping it original would be the consensus. I did find parts in eBay by looking up actual part numbers and searching.onnthose vs. the year and model of the bike.

Comment

There's a couple of motorcycle parts suppliers, I don't remember names, hope someone will chime in, where you can put in a part # and they tell you all models that used that same part. It can be a big help like on ebay, while looking for parts. Also have used several turn signals made by K and S Technologies, they make them for most all bikes, They look, feel, and seem to be OEM except the wires may be a different color, they also have lenses sold separately that match perfectly, size, shape, & color.

Comment

Working...
                              X