oil pan difference on GS425L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pan difference on GS425L

Hi, I am living in northern Canada and recently joined. On with my 2nd Suzuki, as owned a 500 two stroke twin Titan in the past. Just turned 80 years old and have owned many motorcycles, mostly British from age 15. Have always done my own repairs, even as a youngster. I have a great love for doing to work and riding. A friend of mine was moving and offered me a 1979 SG425L, it had broken and parked for 17 years in the back garden, uncovered. been working on constantly and now have it cleaned up, repaired and running. Parts are expensive and it costs more to transport than the item costs. I find the forum very informative and DSCN0849.jpg DSCN0849.jpg thanks for having me.
    Attached Files
    Starts
    07-07-2022
    Ends
    07-07-2022

HI, would anyone know what the color this bike is, as it is still original and would like to touch it up a little. Also the oil pan is different , with the drain plug in the bottom left, rear corner. It does not have a pump filter cover. So maybe I have to drop the pan to get to it? similar to the GS450. Can anyone confirm. Thanks

Comment

Paintcodes are the last three places of a PAINTED/or Coloured part number. Some of the later Real Suzuki Shop manuals have this info in the first pages and some parts fiches also have it...Sometimes it's even surviving as a sticker on the bike somewhere... you can take that to paint manufacturer websites and look for a match and colour swatch ...

Good luck on the oil-pan. Usually you goto a parts diagram and compare the parts numbers...matches are few and far between for things like this.

I go here because it's good for worldwide variants but a bit Eurocentric. https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs425_model13424/
      see if a reasonablly matching colour code shows up...(you don't see many pearl-white bikes in the world so i weven wonder if that's original?)At least it saves you being stuck in 450s
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-10-2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, will follow up on the site you quoted, the color actually is more of a silver gray. It really looks original as the bike only has 16,000 kms on it and everything on is from day one except for a mirror. Great site, the forum is a wealth of knowledge for the oldies. Thanks again.

Comment

It's hard to match paints. I'm not a restorer close counts so find myself at Canadian Tire buying what looks to be matches for something like a fender. TIP! GO OUTSIDE WITH THE CAN .-they'll generally let you. because you can never tell under neons.

if you're into more serious stuff, you need know base coat/ primer- especially important for metallics? Some good threads and pix here somewhere...

Chips you can do somewhat with nail polish, model paints. a Million colours. and You can mix similar types. But keep a record of how you succeeded. I keep the tops .
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-15-2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Thank, will check around as you say and do some testing, but my first priority is to figure out how to clean the oil pump screen. wondering if I have to go into the clutch side cover. well hopefully someone will know, sure not the only person to person to own a similar model. Thanks once again. Beautiful BC Tumbler Ridge DSCN0884.jpg

Comment

Not many of the older 400-425s show up here but there are a few. Try "pm" ing the owners.
              but Looking at the bleary parts diagrams here, (https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs425l-.../BLCK0011.html) for crankcase and oil pump, it looks like a bear and if so, I wouldn't go there without severe provocation...you might just blow kerosene or diesel etc. back through it where the oil filter goes? slosh around, drain and call it good*.... The oil takeup screen and the oil-pump are usually a "life-of-motor" thing

* and you'll have a nice jug of nasty fire-starter for the woodfire when you're done but if you let it settle, a lot of the black crap settles out and you can re-use it!
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-17-2022, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I have already flushed two 0il changes through the engine and it looks very clean, will follow your suggestion and follow up to find an owner or ex- owner. Sure to find a one if I keep trying. will post if I do. Went for a ride on my 2006 Silver Wing today, what a great day for ride. take care and thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X