New member with first Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member with first Suzuki

Thanks for having me, started to pick up older bikes since my wife passed away last October, seems to be the only thing that puts a smile on my face every once in a while, have a new triumph and then picked up a Yamaha FJ1200 that i have wanted since my early 20's then decided i would like to find and fix up one of every big brand Suzuki (now got one), Honda ( a CB X 1000 would be my choice) , Kawasaki (had a green KZ1000R back then but people are looking to get 6k and up for them now)

So anyway picked up a 83 GS1100GK today for a good price for a running bike, does have a few miles on it (80,000kms/50,000miles) but like my FJ1200 i think i should be good for a few more, i manage to do most repairs on my bikes so all this does not cost me a fortune and lets me have some fun, actually registration plates are what is costing me the most at $640 per bike if considered touring or sport touring and $1800 per bike for sport ''R'' wanted a bussa but i can plate 3 bikes for the same price

Bike is in nice shape, there is an electrical problem and will be looking into that soon, what i would like to do with this bike is give it as much of a cafe look as a shaft drive bike can, not a minimalist look but that seat has to go and if i can get clubman bars on it would be nice, don't know if a 17'' rear wheel is possible on this (have a Suzuki 17'' rear wheel swap on my Yamaha without mods) so as i never had a Suzuki before i will search as much as possible on here before asking any too many questions but all suggestions are welcome and would love to see pics of modded bikes, resources for cafe and oem parts would be very very helpful so thanks again and looking forward to getting this bike looking good (it's the brown version and never thought i would say this but kind of like it) also please let me know what upgrades most do or are worth doing when starting out
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by ecuadorbob; 08-27-2022, 06:32 PM.

Welcome to the madhouse. And sorry for your loss.

I entered the GS community after finding a GS450 local to me for $200, bought as a diversion from an ongoing divorce and pending layoff from my job of 21 years. The GSR is a great forum, full of great people. And of course, GS bikes are great. They were way ahead of the curve in terms of durability and handling compared to some other bikes of the day. A big 1100 will easily run 100,000 miles, as long as it's maintained half way decently. Therein lies the rub though; many, if not most, didn't maintain the bikes properly, such as keeping up with valve adjustment. Nothing puts a GS in the grave faster than neglecting valve adjustment. Anyway, please read the links in my signature about carb rebuilding and some things for newbies to look out for. They will prove valuable to you in the future.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wow thanks, great way to start off, valve adjustment is equally important on my FJ1200 and have bought the tool for it and shims are available for that bike and i also have what it takes for carb syncing so will probably start off with these two important steps and do all maintenance to date but honestly what scares me the most is the shaft drive as i have never had one, will have to study up on that, will look at your links for sure, thanks again

Comment

just seen your take on engine oil, never seen that before, have loads of rotella here as all my trucks are diesel, will 15/40 do ?? i also have 5/40 i use in summer.. do you think i could use rotella in my 93 yamaha FJ1200 ??

Comment

Welcome: That will be a nice bike with a few mods. I really like CBX's and early FJ's as well. I couldn't find 10-40 so I put 20-50 in my 1150 a few months ago with no ill effects. Owner's manual seems to agree it's okay for summer temperatures. Valve set is the first thing I do when I bring one home.
          1986 1150EF
          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Yeah, sorry for the loss, hoping the bikes & the GSR can bring smiles. As you're not familiar with shaft dr. Suzuki's, the correct lube is a very big must, for the splines in the rear wheel. It's been talked about around here a lot. "Molly" is important, not molly grease but A lube or paste with 50% molly or more ,, Suzuki molly paste or Honda M-77 Assembly paste, & can find others, most molly grease is closer to 3% to 5 %. Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by ecuadorbob View Post
              just seen your take on engine oil, never seen that before, have loads of rotella here as all my trucks are diesel, will 15/40 do ?? i also have 5/40 i use in summer.. do you think i could use rotella in my 93 yamaha FJ1200 ??
              Both of those oils will be fine.

Regarding the shaft, as mentioned, check the driven spline in the rear wheel. Suzuki made soft splines for some years, which wear fast. Most likely it's already been changed, though, considering the mileage on your bike.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the intro Ecudorbob.

sorry for your loss of your wife.

if you ditch the seat, keep in mind that the GK seats were on GKs only . Anybody looking for a GK seat will be waiting a long time to find one. (And most of them have rusted out pans.)
                the 82 seats were black. Late 82 and the 83 and 84 could be the two tone.

also: learn about the hub (called joint assembly on microfisch) that is IN the rear wheel.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by ecuadorbob View Post
                  Wow thanks, great way to start off, valve adjustment is equally important on my FJ1200 and have bought the tool for it and shims are available for that bike and i also have what it takes for carb syncing so will probably start off with these two important steps and do all maintenance to date but honestly what scares me the most is the shaft drive as i have never had one, will have to study up on that, will look at your links for sure, thanks again
                  Don't worry about the shaft. My 80 GS850 bike has the original swingarm / shaft on it and it's done well over 300K miles.
                  There is one caveat - the 850 on a good day put out 80hp, the 1100 a few more, so keep the burn-outs to a moderate level.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X