New member, old rider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, old rider.

Finally back on two after 25 years and loving the whole 'getting used to it' thing again. The muscle memory is there but at almost 62, the balance needs a little polishing. Picked up a nice '83 GS 750E and have a nice bike to everyday ride and restore in winter.

My previous rides include:

1972 Honda 350-4
    1970 CT1-B Yamaha
    1975 DT250 Yamaha
    1976 Yamaha RD400
    1974 RT360 Yamaha
    1973 250MX
    1982 Yamaha Seca XJ550
    1985 Honda Interceptor VF700F
    1986 Yamaha FJ1200
    1989 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6

Cheers!
    Last edited by AnotherGeezer; 09-12-2022, 02:37 PM.

Welcome aboard!

Got any pics? Current ride, or how about that little Honda four?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome. Enjoy the 750
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the site, Geezer.
        Quite a varied array of bikes you've owned.
        btw, on this site 62 makes you middle-aged.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Geezer...let's see, isn't that just a polite way of saying Old Fart? Yep some of us will fit that description. I was also out for several yrs. then got back on, first on an "83" CB1100F. A little scary at first, but didn't take long to feel comfortable again, I just don't twist my right hand as far or fast as I did 30 yrs. ago. Still try to be cautious of balance and reflexes, they'll never be what they yus'ta be. Welcome.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Geezer...let's see, isn't that just a polite way of saying Old Fart? Yep some of us will fit that description. I was also out for several yrs. then got back on, first on an "83" CB1100F. A little scary at first, but didn't take long to feel comfortable again, I just don't twist my right hand as far or fast as I did 30 yrs. ago. Still try to be cautious of balance and reflexes, they'll never be what they yus'ta be. Welcome.
            rphillips, you are dead on about that right wrist. These days, it's nice to know it's there without having to wind it up to prove it. I've noticed my ego isn't quite as bold as it once was either!

Ride the Pace.

Chris

Comment

Welcome, another Northeast GS'er! There are a few of us that ride as often as possible - some summers are better than others, but we do what we can. We also host a Northeast Rally every year, the weekend after Labor Day. It's motorcycle camping at Calvin Coolidge State Park in Plymouth VT (right off 100/100a) - awesome riding up there. At one point, EVERYONE rode a GS, but as time went by and better, (faster), safer bikes came out, there aren't too many riding their GS's today. Whatever you ride is fine as long as it's roadworthy and safe. Would love to see you join us next September.
              We're also going to try for a "winter meet" of billiards and beverages, and Manchester might be the central location? If we can put something together, we'll post it in the GS Meeting place.
              Scott
              1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
              1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
              1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
              2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
              sigpic

Comment

Hey Chris,
                I just made our reservations for next year at Coolidge and we secured the pavilion at the top of the hill (it's not easy getting that site...) Anyway, there's a new thread under GS Meeting Place for the 2023 rally and would love to have you join us for some great riding, good food, good stories and great company! Mark your calendar - the weekend AFTER Labor Day; Sep 7, 8, 9 and 10.
                Any questions, shoot me a PM.
                Scott
                1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                sigpic

Comment

Chris, AKA Geezer, here are a few thoughts:

After an absence of twenty five years some former bad habits may have survived, but the skill set will definitely have greatly diminished.

It could be highly beneficial to take an approved course and renew your skills...and may save you a few bucks on insurance premiums as well.

For me it was more than ten years absence, but I went through what you are experiencing and survived, then took an iron butt ride on my 1100GK.

Welcome back and welcome aboard GSR!

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                    Chris, AKA Geezer, here are a few thoughts:

After an absence of twenty five years some former bad habits may have survived, but the skill set will definitely have greatly diminished.

It could be highly beneficial to take an approved course and renew your skills...and may save you a few bucks on insurance premiums as well.

For me it was more than ten years absence, but I went through what you are experiencing and survived, then took an iron butt ride on my 1100GK.

Welcome back and welcome aboard GSR!

Definitely part of the plan. I've been off for a long time and put over 100k on road bikes over the years but still respect the fact I've lost a step. I plan to get the local course this Spring as riding days are getting numbered now and I have some restoration plans for the bike.

Comment

Working...
                    X