Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member here from Canada, recent rider and owner of a 1983 GS400E

Hello GS riders,

I live in Quebec City, Canada and I am new to motorcycle riding.
    About a month ago I got my hands on a canadian 1983 GS400E with 50 000 km on it. That bike is perfect for me!

filedata/fetch?id=1705228&d=1664751194&type=thumb

I'm happy I found this forum wich seems full of good tips.
    I hope I can find someone with the very same motorcycle as me here! (crossing fingers)

Things I have done since I got the bike:

-cleaned chain and sprocket for the first time in years (previous owner just kept using maxima wax without ever cleaning it...)
    -replaced a badly routed clutch cable
    -cleaned the front brake switch and ordered a replacement
    -bled the front brake for the first time in 50 000 km...
    -replaced the front bearing and the front tire
    -replaced a couple burned bulbs (stop light and licence plate)

All of these went really well!

...then I replaced the stator and the regulator/rectifier unit (with an SH775) and I learned the hard way I wasn't talented at all at making a gasket seal properly... I really lack experience here. Hope I can make that gasket seal properly in the next few days...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Mat; 10-02-2022, 08:10 PM.
    1983 GS400E - Canada specific
    Noobie mechanic with some determination

Hay mat, welcome and congrats.. Great introduction, great picture of bike, and great picture in general. Looks like you got a great start here.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Bienvenue!
      I have the same bike, same color but with black wheels.
      Marc
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Welcome aboard, Mat.
        Great bike to gain experience wrenching and riding although the riding season is rapidly closing.
        Lots of GS400 owners on site.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Mat, welcome.
          Nice looking cycle.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for a warm welcome everybody.

I will find time in the next few days to post a little more

Also I have many newbie questions (still searching old posts before I ask...)

Originally posted by kochic View Post
            Bienvenue!
            I have the same bike, same color but with black wheels.
            Marc
            Salut kochic, do you have the exact same year and model as me?

Comment

Yes, same year and same color. 1983 gs400e, with two more for parts.
              This model was not available in US.
              Marc
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

Welcome, Mat.
                THanks for the photo.

Seems that you have done a lot for being new to mo'cykls.

How is it going as far as being a new rider?
                Is there beginer riding classes there in Quebec?

Kochic there is a knowlodgable fellow.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Welcome, Mat.
                  THanks for the photo.

New to motorcycling but I do maintain my cars myself and I am at ease with electronics so that helps quite a bit. I have almost zero experience with carburetors or anything that runs without a computer...

In Quebec you have to take the basic motorcycle course before you get a probatory license for a year and then you take the final exam. I'm glad I did the course, I feel like I got the basics right and can grow on that. I'm not saying I ain't gonna make many mistakes anyway ... but at least I will probably be alive to tell these to my kids later ;-)

Yeah I really love my GS400 and the 3000km I did on it since I got the permit! ....maybe because I don't have many comparison points with bigger bikes ha ha ! really for now I could not think of a better first bike for me. It forces me to learn basic mechanics and to really understand how all that works, you don't own it if you can't repair it I say. Although I wish I had a garage to do all this maintenance, will probably have access to a heated garage during the winter to do some more serious work like valve adjustments (As far as I know valves have never been done on this bike and I wonder how much I should really worry about that, even if the bike seems to run very fine).
                  I also wish to:
                  check the front suspension too (seems to dive quite much when braking and one seal is slowly leaking... and what is this thing with air pressure on the fork?).
                  redo all gaskets properly
                  replace front brake hose
                  repaint the motor
                  install a rear rack (btw anyone knows if a 1978-79 rear rack will fit a 1983 GS400 too?)

Yeah glad I found someone with a GS400E like Kochic :-)

Comment

My first street bike was a 550. It was great to learn the streets on even though I had previous experience riding off road. I even took it on a few 1000 ish mile weekend trips. At this point after years of riding, I’d happily park a small CC GS next to my 1150 if it was an option.

Little bikes can equal big fun.
                    I wonder what the difference in fun factor is between the Canadian TSCC 400 bikes vs the US 2 valve 450s. I’ve never ridden either one.
                    Last edited by dorkburger; 10-07-2022, 11:13 AM.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Welcome, Mat.
                      THanks for the photo.

Thanks Dave for the kind words.
                      Hope everything is good on your side.
                      Marc
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Lovely picture, Mat! I see you have the "stylish" 400E...a few differences from my 81! the diff I immediately recall is that the chain is longer so be careful if it comes to it. I look at cmsnl for part numbers ..you have what's also known as "gsx" engine so don't get muddled by the everpresent 450s when it comes to carbs and engine ...even though many parts will cross over from these

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GSX400E 1982 (Z) (E02 E04 E16 E17 E22 E24 E26)

Comment

Welcome, Mat.
                          Search the site and you can find pretty well all you need to know about maintenance on GSR

You replaced the stator and are concerned about leaking from the gasket on the side cover.

Briefly said, don't worry about it. as there is no pressure to cause problems.

If it does leak, simply remove all the bolts, clean everything off well and put it all back together again.

Cleaning it well is the key to avoiding leaks, no matter what you use for a gasket.

I once did it with another GSR member's bike in his driveway before we went for a morning ride..
                          A Kellogg's corn flakes box became the new gasket. It worked perfectly and was still in place when Carmen sold his bike.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Woohoo! Just got the gasket to seal proper this time. I think I took everything apart at least five times before figuring this one out. Pretty nice exercise of patience. Been doing computer repairs for a long time but never though cardboard could give me more trouble .

I didn't look enough but both covers had small oil channels that I didn't noticed at first... I was focusing on bolt holes but four more holes had to be done (plus the two alignment pins).

Ashamed to say I have more than 10 hours on this one, proud to say I did all of it with a happy face (and only a couple of beers). Argonsagas your comment helped with that last zen part.

Thanks to you Gorminrider for the link.

Comment

Hi Mat,

I also have a 1983 GS400E with almost 52000km on the clock. I bought it used in 1987. I cleaned the carbs recently, and discovered that the choke cable was about to break, so need to order some parts.

Good to find other GS400E owners!!

Regards, Don

Comment

Working...
                              X