Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacksmith in Georgia

Howdy,

Thanks for all the info shared here, been looking around a bit... New to me 1980 SG1100 with a Vetter sidecar. Parked since 05 inside, so most of it is in good shape. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Had to go with pods as the airbox was missing so I'm trying to sort out the jetting. Went with a 115 main that pulls real good but its still lean. I suspect I will need to raise the needle and go with a bigger pilot than the 45 that's in there. Got a bit of a whine in 5th that needs to be addressed too.

I did readjust the sidecar for better handling, kinda fun with a kick after 7500 rpm... Been messing with motorized stuff for a few decades, old Harleys, power hammers, machine tools and old cars. This just looked fun and I really want to take my dog for rides!

Thanks again for you all laying down some knowledge,
    Michael

IMG_6377.jpg
    Attached Files
    1980 GS1100E, 2009 Roadking, 2000 Motoguzzi Jackel, 2002 Suzuki DRZ, Panhead in pieces...

Welcome. Thanks for sharing. That looks fantastic!
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks man, rode to lunch with my wife to test the low range Didn't pull passed 5 grand so I was safe...
      1980 GS1100E, 2009 Roadking, 2000 Motoguzzi Jackel, 2002 Suzuki DRZ, Panhead in pieces...

Comment

Nice hack set up. Those Vetter side cars are as rare as Hen's teeth. I had a hack for around 6 years, it was a Velorex. I machined my own brackets and became pretty good at setting them up. If you have any questions about that, I may be able to help you out. I used to drive mine in 6 inches of snow, with these Yellow rubber straps I ordered from Germany that used double "D" rings to secure to the rear wheel. I had loads of traction and didn't have to worry about falling over. I never got stuck in that rig either. You may find that raising the needles will give you enough as those bikes were cold blooded due to emissions, and you could be one clip adjustment from gobs of midrange torque. Your bike looks very period correct. A very nice looking rig.

Comment

That's a GS1100E ('80 or '81). World's fastest production motorcycle in both those years (according to Cycle World). What kind of fairing is that, exactly?

All in all, a VERY rare setup. I doubt you'll ever run into another just like it.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            Nice hack set up. Those Vetter side cars are as rare as Hen's teeth. I had a hack for around 6 years, it was a Velorex. I machined my own brackets and became pretty good at setting them up. If you have any questions about that, I may be able to help you out. I used to drive mine in 6 inches of snow, with these Yellow rubber straps I ordered from Germany that used double "D" rings to secure to the rear wheel. I had loads of traction and didn't have to worry about falling over. I never got stuck in that rig either. You may find that raising the needles will give you enough as those bikes were cold blooded due to emissions, and you could be one clip adjustment from gobs of midrange torque. Your bike looks very period correct. A very nice looking rig.
            Thanks! Im gonna get a skeleton for the hack, tis the season I set it up with 1/2 toe in and a slight lean out, seams ok but pulling slightly towards the car. Might want a steering dampener too, not sure yet. My carb needles dont have the notches, but I think the washer can be moved to the opposite side of the clip?
            Last edited by Danger; 10-17-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              That's a GS1100E ('80 or '81). World's fastest production motorcycle in both those years (according to Cycle World). What kind of fairing is that, exactly?

All in all, a VERY rare setup. I doubt you'll ever run into another just like it.
              1980, I was a bit surprised when I got in the power band! Kinda want to turn her loose. I used to get a lot of lookers when I had my tank shift Knucklehead, but I think this one is going to draw a few more eyeballs

Comment

If it is steering towards the car, nose the sidecar in towards the bike. With the engine off, in neutral, you should be able to push the bike and it should go straight. Also, when you sit on the bike, it will lean the the whole unit outwards (towards the left). It's customary to lean the bike a couple of degrees towards the side car to compensate for this. You can mark the straight up position if you plan a trip with the spouse, and wish to set the bike level. In Connecticut, we have quite a crown on the roads, so the water and melting snow/ice can run off. That is another consideration on which way you should lean the bike, large crown, lean it towards the Hack a bit more, not so much that it's uncomfortable though.

Comment

Michael, you've buried the lead in this story.
                  What's the name of your dog?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

What a beautiful machine!

Toronto police used to use sidecars for a few months every year, taking them off when summer weather began.
                    They might still do so, but I have not seen them for some time..

Congratulations on a delightful find!

BTW...stored since 2005? New tires are needed.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                      If it is steering towards the car, nose the sidecar in towards the bike. With the engine off, in neutral, you should be able to push the bike and it should go straight. Also, when you sit on the bike, it will lean the the whole unit outwards (towards the left). It's customary to lean the bike a couple of degrees towards the side car to compensate for this. You can mark the straight up position if you plan a trip with the spouse, and wish to set the bike level. In Connecticut, we have quite a crown on the roads, so the water and melting snow/ice can run off. That is another consideration on which way you should lean the bike, large crown, lean it towards the Hack a bit more, not so much that it's uncomfortable though.
                      Thank you, I will give it a go!

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Michael, you've buried the lead in this story.
                        What's the name of your dog?
                        Ha! I know, the dog pictured is my friends dog Layla. My rescue "Bam Bam" is in training to get him used to the cart, he loves animal crackers

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          What a beautiful machine!

Toronto police used to use sidecars for a few months every year, taking them off when summer weather began.
                          They might still do so, but I have not seen them for some time..

Congratulations on a delightful find!

BTW...stored since 2005? New tires are needed.
                          Thanks, it is a bit of fun! I do need to consider the rubber...

Comment

OOhhh, I misunderstood the picture. I thought you said it was you and your wife... Sorry
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Couldn’t find a hack around here for less than my left arm, so I made one. Love your set up. Here is mine.

2938430E-CDA5-4CC1-BA87-7E0A2B6C3EDF.jpg
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment