New member from Chico, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from Chico, CA

I just picked up my first GS. I bought this non running GS from my neighbor's brother who had owned it since he was 18 ( he’s 52 now). I’m looking forward to tinkering on this bike and making it a fun town bike.

The bike:
    1978 GS550. I’m not sure if it’s an e.
    vin:GS550111188

known issue
    the bike cranks over nice but doesn’t start. The fuel leaked so bad from the peacock that there want a lot of time spent on the ignition.

some of the issues I know that need to be fixed:
    petcock - I ordered new seals for the original.
    fuel lines

while waiting for those things I will start with testing the spark.

pics to come soon

Chris
    Last edited by Mclaughc; 10-17-2022, 10:46 PM. Reason: Lack of info

What bike? .........
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome!

Be sure to check the newbie mistakes thread linked in my signature. It will help you...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I don't think there is a better site for someone with their first GS. How much do you know about its history? Why not running?, has it just sat for too long, did something break and was never fixed, hopefully nothing too serious. Whatever you need to know is probably here. Good luck and welcome...
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You gonna tell us what it is? Show us some pics?
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome Chris,
            thanks for introduction (you get extra points for that har har)

tell us more.
            you have worked on other bikes?
            did it sit unused for long time?

let me guess: it had charging issues, and so PO let it sit for about 5 years.

pictures.
            we all like pictures.

what model? Year?
            post pic and let us figure it out.

Last edited by Redman; 10-17-2022, 09:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              You gonna tell us what it is? Show us some pics?
              Pics to come and more details too. I love forums and don’t use Facebook so I will be doing a lot of reading and searching.

Comment

Looks like one pic per post for now.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Comment

Comment

OK, looks pretty nice, a 1978 GS550 C and looks like most everything is there. Have you looked inside the tank yet? sometimes that's a problem. Do you know why it's not been ran lately?
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The guy I bought it from has had the bike for 34 years. I have known him for 12 years of that as he often visits his brother who is a friend and my good friend, and immediate neighbor.
                        He has always ridden the bike on clear days when he visits his brother until just a few months ago when he asked if he could barrow my spark tester for the plugs. I was told that it wouldn't start and he was having issues with the petcock. After he added silicone sealer between the petcock and tank, it would still leak but it ran very rough and would then die.

I just went out and tested the coil packs and they are all delivering good spark.
                        I ordered new seals for the petcock from RMATV (another great OEM source).

While testing the spark, I see that there are many dry hoses so I will be replacing all of them when I get the fuel supply parts. When I look under the cap, I don't see any rust but it does smell old. I will stick a probe in there and look around a bit better this week.

I also plan on running through all the basic maintenance after I here it fire. If I don't get the fire then I will be looking at air supply next.

Chris

Comment

It seems, and hoping, this may be a relatively easy project. Just my opinion, Siting for months, not yrs. Possibly some fresh gas with appx. 3 oz. pr. gal of Seafoam could possibly get it going without having to go all through the carbs. That would be a huge benefit... Keep us updated.

Comment

Working...
                          X