Old Member Back After Many Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samelak View Post
    The scoop was something I put on but those engine guards came with the bike when I purchased it. Not sure if they were a Suzuki option…most likely aftermarket back in the say. They are aluminum.
    Wouldn't mind seeing some close up pics of those. And anyone who rides a CBX goes to the front of the line. And should be given free gas.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That's what case guards should look like! I don't know about the front of the line thing for the CBX. Those spindly forks on a bike that size, and the way they wobble is not very inspiring. I got an opportunity to put quite a few miles on one Great straight line, touring though. The handling just isn't there.

Comment

I'm pretty certain that those case savers were an option on the 1150s. I've only ever seen 3 or 4 sets pop up on eBay, and I got outbid every time.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm surprised that design for the case savers hasn't been copied.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            If it's an 83 11E, it's welded. But what's under the front of that gray 83? A little scoop fairing? But what are those cooling fins under the front right?
            I think you are looking at aftermarket horn not cooling fins...?

On the bike - really nice looking color scheme, can't recall seeing one.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Hey Tom, Look at the cooling fins around & under the ign. cover
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Hey Tom, Look at the cooling fins around & under the ign. cover
                Oh gotcha yeah those are interesting case savers for sure.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I've never seen case savers like that. Those would be nice to some surface mount LED's into the slots, just for visibility! I was working as a Parts Manager at a Suzuki/Yamaha dealership back from 78 to 82, and I never saw case savers like that. I wonder if they are custom? I bet they would sell now if someone had the wherewithal to produce them. They look like part of the bike, not an afterthought!

Comment

Comment

Would there possibly be a name or logo on them anywhere? I never remember seeing anything like them on any motorcycles.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Those are really unique. I've never seen them before. They are awesome!!

Comment

Absolutely…the CBX is with JR up in Michigan in the final months of restoration. My last tour in Okinawa really took a toll on the metal. I restored the frame, wheels and other bits. JR handled the engine and carbs. Plus his painter took care of the body. Should have it back to me early next year when the weather allows.

My GS1100E is next up for restoration. Should be a fairly easy restoration…only 29K miles and garage kept. The biggest problem to tackle is the oil blowing from the heads. A bike shop back in 05/06 recommended Amsoil. Put that in and immediately started spraying oil out the front. I’m hoping someone local can hep with a top end teardown since I have not that type of work yet.

How did you go about restoring the wheels on the CBx?
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Would there possibly be a name or logo on them anywhere? I never remember seeing anything like them on any motorcycles.
                            No logos or names…

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

How did you go about restoring the wheels on the CBx?
                              Got really lucky years ago and picked up a set of unused “school bike” wheels. They are still in really nice shape and only needed a good cleaning. CBX wheels are built up with rivets and cannot be taken apart.

Comment

Got really lucky years ago and picked up a set of unused “school bike” wheels. They are still in really nice shape and only needed a good cleaning. CBX wheels are built up with rivets and cannot be taken apart.
                                Yes, and that's why I was asking. I'm slowly restoring an '82 CB900f.
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X