Buddy just dropped off a completely disassembled 1982 GS650e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddy just dropped off a completely disassembled 1982 GS650e

I just retired from the Fire Department and decided to take on this project. Have some V8 engine building experience, but know nothing about bikes. Especially one sitting in 5 or so boxes. His plan was to turn it into a cafe racer, but decided just to outright buy something working. He did leave me with a Chiltons Guide and a friendly good luck buddy boy as he left. I figured after laying everything out I would start with the engine. Anyone out there have any recommended reading or videos for rebuilding? Am I insane? Thanks in advance (Jeff from Snohomish)

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have knowledge that the engine actually ran before it was taken off the road? You could take the right side engine cover off, get a wrench on the big nut and turn it clockwise (while looking at the right side of the engine), just to see if the engine turns. Taking each spark plug out and putting a finger over the hole while you rotate the engine will tell you if you have compression, but not how much. I’d probably drop a tablespoon of Marvel’s Mystery Oil into each cylinder before attempting any turning of the crank.

Get yourself some JIS screwdrivers. What look like Phillips heads on these bike are not. Get JIS. Get a hand impact screwdriver if you don’t have one.

Link in my Signature for BikeCliffs Website. Bookmark that site. It is your new best friend. In the top section you will find a pdf of the Factory Service Manual. A really good clean scan actually. There will be a wiring diagram in there that you will need too. The top right section had separate wiring diagrams, but unfortunately the 650 links are broken. The 750 (16 valve) Color Wiring Diagram is going to be very close and might be a good resource with only minor differences. Suzuki was very good about keeping wiring colors the same between years and models for the GS bikes.

See the Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial(Mr. Nessism)
    Also articles on cleaning, rebuilding, restoring just about every individual component on the bike.

You’re in the right place. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-05-2022, 10:39 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Is it in several large pieces, or down to the last bolt? Give us some photos if you can....

IMO, there are a few things to check before you spend any money on it:

Was the frame cut in anyway to make his "cafe racer."
      Is the tank rusty inside?
      Is the wiring harness there, intact, and not cut?
      Did you get a title?

Depending on condition, finding a running bike may cost less in the long run.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. The bike itself had an electrical issue is what I was told. Engine turned freely. The engine's head(s) were removed, the piston (sleeve) was removed as well. The pistons are exposed. There is dust and general shop grime on the piston heads and surrounding case. Peering down inside each piston opening all the gears are coated in very clean looking oil. No obvious debris, but I'm sure stuff has found it's way in. I would like to somehow tip it upside down to clean it and prevent anything else from falling in, then flush the interior if that's possible. The piston sleeve looks very smooth with no scoring or obvious damage (I coated it with some wd40). I did get a title, all wiring is intact, bike frame has not been cut. It was just disassembled and stopped there. Tank shows no rust.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Being in pieces is a mixed blessing. You can do the usual things to see if the engine is running, and it will be much easier to adjust the valves with engine out. Same with checking the clutch pack. You could end up with a really nice bike. Sent you a P.M.

Comment

I’ve heard, or read, that one could flush the engine with diesel fuel with no I’ll effects. No personal experience. I’d get a second option if I were you.

As you’ll likely be shopping for gaskets for the engine reassembly, go with OEM. Try your local dealer. Otherwise, an online seller of OEM parts like www.parshark.com is a good place to shop for NOS/OEM stuff.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Remove the oil pan and tip a few pints of kerosene down the centre tunnel. Crud always gets in during removal of the cylinders, no matter how careful you are in cleaning them, there's always some
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I could only imagine the pleasure of a non motorcycle guy, starting with 5 or 6 boxes of parts and eventually riding down the rd. on a complete running bike. I'll be here watching, waiting, & pulling for you...
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement! I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a decent engine stand?

Comment

If it was me (and thank the Lord, it isn't), I would find an engine builder and give him the job of building that engine. No way in the world would I attempt it . But that's me. That route would cost me more, but it would leave me with an engine I could trust. And if I absolutely had to do it, I'd finish the disassembly and check every part for wear and cleanliness before I put any 2 pieces back together. But, as I said, that's me. You might want to hone the cylinder walls, as a completely smooth surface will not seat the rings well. And after saying all that............you've come to the right place. Good Luck to you.
                            Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                            1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Ooohh, I don't remember ever seeing one for larger bike eng.. Just rolled them around on the work bench
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X