My 650GL history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 650GL history

I bought this 1983 Suzuki GS 650 GL (14,675 mi) (my fourth motorcycle, and fourth GS)
    May 14, 2013, on eBay. It had a New Jersey title, and I titled it in PA and then in WV.

GS Rick “tuned” it for me (basically took the engine apart and rebuilt it)
    and I put about 12,000 miles on it in the six years between 2015 and 2021.

I rode it in maybe a dozen different states in the east.

Sometime along the way it developed a drip from the head gasket.

Had a minor (?) fall in 2021ish which did a little cosmetic damage, dinged the headlight bucket, the right front turn signal, and twisted the speedometer a bit.

Lot of good times with this bike.

Sold it January 2, 2023, on craigslist (26,673 mi)

"I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Kerry, I hope that doesn’t mean we won’t be seeing you here anymore. We enjoy your stories and pics with the Triumph just as much. Speaking of, maybe consider joining the forum over at triumphrat.net. Seems to be a good bunch of guys and a very active and helpful forum. I joined because I’m still looking for my first Triumph.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

+1 on the comments from Rich.
      Please do hang around, Kerry.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I guess I shoulda said that up front, naw, I ain't leaving.
        I mean I am not exactly a mechanical contributor but I know this site is unique and special and I'm glad to be a part of it.
        I mentioned it to the buyer and will be sending him the link. I told him "the guys here could literally write books about the GS motorcycle."

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Speaking of, maybe consider joining the forum over at triumphrat.net. Seems to be a good bunch of guys and a very active and helpful forum. I joined because I’m still looking for my first Triumph.
          It's a pretty decent forum, but big - Lots of members, so not as intimate as here.
          Been part of that forum since 2011, and have a total of 63 posts....LOL...Been it has been a great resource of information.

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
          I guess I shoulda said that up front, naw, I ain't leaving.
          I mean I am not exactly a mechanical contributor but I know this site is unique and special and I'm glad to be a part of it.
          I mentioned it to the buyer and will be sending him the link. I told him "the guys here could literally write books about the GS motorcycle."
          Good....Figured you would say that, and glad you did.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Mind if I ask your reason for selling?
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
              Mind if I ask your reason for selling?
              I don't have much mechanical aptitude.
              I can change an oil filter and lightbulbs and fuses, maybe replace a stator.

My 650 had a head gasket leak and a few cosmetic dings, and it's been 12,000 miles since its carbs were cleaned.

I like the 650GL quite a lot, although I don't care for the small gas tank.
              I wish they sold the 750GL in the US.
              The 850GL is heavier than I care for.

I fell in love with the cruiser look of the Triumph, plus the Triumph doesn't particularly need anything right now.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post

I don't have much mechanical aptitude.
                I can change an oil filter and lightbulbs and fuses, maybe replace a stator.

My 650 had a head gasket leak and a few cosmetic dings, and it's been 12,000 miles since its carbs were cleaned.

I like the 650GL quite a lot, although I don't care for the small gas tank.
                I wish they sold the 750GL in the US.
                The 850GL is heavier than I care for.

I fell in love with the cruiser look of the Triumph, plus the Triumph doesn't particularly need anything right now.
                Gotcha, that's understandable. Ability to tinker is a must with these older machines.
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I'd thought, surely he ain't gonn'a leave us, Glad to read that was correct... Hoping buyer, seller, and any women involved are happy.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for update.
                    (I knew you now had newer triumph, and wondered about the GS.)

How did the sale go, this time of year?

glad to hear you are gonna hang around.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                    X