Sticky trip meter - 81 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky trip meter - 81 GS1000G

Hiya team, I've found threads on speedo's being slow etc and am all over that subject. I understand that the speedo is magnetically controlled, and it seems accurate enough when compared to GPS source.

My issue is that my trip meter is VERY slow to turn over (I didn't ride long enough to determine whether the odometer itself is in sync with the trip meter or not - by the time I realised that the trip meter was not turning over quickly enough I focused on that rather than the odo itself!). What should have been 8 km showed as something like 2.5.

The bike has sat for some time - I'm hopeful that it may just be a bit 'sticky'. I'm picking it will have some type of 'special grease' in the instrumentation so don't want to start spraying anything in there. Anyone had this occur? (Bike is still being tweaked after its rebuild and I won't be able to test odo for a week or two as the front end is now off to rebuild the forks and put new rubber on).

Cheers for now,
    Griff
    Patriots Defence Force MC Club
    '81 GS1000G
    2015 Rocket 3 Touring (sold)
    2018 Indian Roadmaster (sold)
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
    1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 (sadly, written off after a slide down the road - September 2023)

Hi Griff
    I haven't been inside a speedo off an 81 1100 but I have been in 77-79 750 and 850 models. Assuming they are of a similar design, the trip meter is mechanically driven through gears and cogs. It could be that yours need some lubrication but I would not recommend spraying lube into the instrument as you don't know where it will go and it could also stain the clock face from behind (don't ask me how I know that).
    The only safe way to find out what's wrong is to take the gauge apart but I'm not sure if you can do that with yours ?
    Cheers - JT

Comment

Use a Toothpick, or similar device, to transfer some 3 in 1 oil onto the gears. It will make it's way around the shafts and gears and lubricate it right up. Don't be to shy, that stuff is made for sewing machines, and once on, does not spin off easily, but don't go nuts on it either.

Comment

I've used 3 in 1 and also silicon grease, others have used petroleum jelly. Can't say which was better in my case since both did the job.

On my GS450 I had a very difficult time trying to pry the fastening ring off due to the body of the speedo being made of plastic. In that case I cut the body in half with a saw in order to get inside then taped it back together with Gorilla Tape. You could say that was a "Ham Fisted" way of doing things but it worked and I didn't have a mangled looking trim ring to look at afterward!
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Old Grease has dried out on the gears...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I gently drill a 3/8 hole about center of the top flat area where te two small screws are then shop vac any particles that may fall inside. this cive a clear wide shot atthe axle and gears. A lttle spritz of white lithium grease..and i mean LTTLE so grease doesnt get all over theguage faces. Then cover hole with gorilla tape. Ready for future lubrication.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X