Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings and salutations from sunny, Detroit Michigan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings and salutations from sunny, Detroit Michigan!

Hi all! I'm a 53 year old cabinetmaker from the Detroit area and I currently have a 2013 Bmw k1600, 1979 Bmw R100 and a 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 sport. I was looking for a project for my 14 year old son and I to work on and a good friend offered me his non-running 1978 Suzuki GS750e for free! He purchased the bike new in '79 and put 12,000 miles on it before babies and an unreasonable wife parked the bike. After the divorce he bought a series of Harleys, and the Suzuki was all but forgotten. The exhaust is gone, and the center stand and side stand are badly rusted. I was able to source a parts bike within an hour and a half of my house with a solid stock exhaust and all the other little parts that we need to put together a really nice rider. I have always serviced my own machines can't wait to dig in! Thanks and wish us luck

Welcome aboard.
    Stock exhaust are difficult to source. Good for you for finding one so quickly and nearby is a bonus.
    btw, nice trio of bikes you have there.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The donor cost me $700! I thought it was too steep and I was in the truck leaving, my son said let's just get it. Smart kid! The seller told me he had been offered $400 for the exhaust alone. There's a bunch of good parts I need not to mention an almost perfect set of spoked wheels. The parts bike is actually cleaner than ours but double the miles, no title and an unknown history.

Comment

Welcome!! Many parts on EBAY available for that bike a very reasonable prices.

Comment

Welcome to both of you, I'm sure he's listening in. Sounds like a great project. Personally I'd prefer the first gen. GS750's over the newer ones. I love spoked wheels, just lett'in you know, your donor wheels should already drilled and tapped for the other rotor to be bolted on for your "E" forks. Nobody mentioned it yet, but we LOVE pictures, will be interesting to see what you are starting with. Congrats. and keep us updated
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sounds like you got one heck of a good deal at $0.00. Yeah, you had to buy another one to get this freebie going but wow, a great deal.

Yes we do like pictures on this site and welcome to the GSR.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. This is after a little preliminary cleaning. The spoked wheels look so good not sure if I want to mess with the tubes! Do the spoked wheels bolt in with the same spacers and everything? Just put the discs on and go? Thats too easy
                Last edited by Deadpen69; 06-26-2023, 04:58 AM.

Comment

The before shot!

Comment

Certainly keep the steel braided brake line and drilled discs.
                    Looks like a 650E front fender. A small thing but i have always liked the slight flare at the back of the fender.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Certainly keep the steel braided brake line and drilled discs.
                      Looks like a 650E front fender. A small thing but i have always liked the slight flare at the back of the fender.
                      The donor has a perfect chrome fender so the plastic one is going away per junior. I’ve had the pleasure of traveling through your little town on several Niagara Falls runs over the years, lovely part of the world.

Comment

Maybe shouldn't say, as I'm not totally sure. So remember that. But pretty sure the "E" front rotors are a little smaller dia. will need to bolt both "E" rotors on spoked wheel, then bolt right on. On rear, 1 spacer is slightly different on the spoked wheel, brake side, just keep the spacers for spoked wheel with the spoked wheel and you will be good, bolt right on.... If your donor looks better than this one, you seem to have did great.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome, fellow Michigander. Looks like a fun project, hope you and your son have a blast with it!
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

welcpme, welcome from other side of the state.
                            . THenks for the intoduction.
                            Good story of yhou working with your son.

I dont have expereince with the 750s, nor any 1978 (lot changed with all the 1980 models)

Will get better responce to tech qustion in appropiate tech section.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hello from another Michigander, and welcome to the GSR! It's a fantastic resource full of good people. I look forward to seeing the progress on the bike.

May I suggest you start a build thread in the projects section to track your progress and keep us entertained.
                              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                              X