Hello from Hampshire UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Hampshire UK

Hi all, this is my old girl I've had since about 1985. Back then a friend had a trick GS1000 which he wrote off hitting a van, I was helping him rebuild it but we couldn't find a 1000 frame so tried getting the engine into a GS750 instead, it almost fitted but then he got bored & bought a Katana so I ended up buying the project.
    I finished it, buying parts as I could afford them & eventually it was on the road. My friend then decided he wanted the engine for his Kat as he'd built it with lots of Yoshi bits & it was a bit quick. I quite liked the idea of the 16 valve engine so a swap was done.
    It had sat unused in my garage for over 20 years until 2 years ago when I had inspiration to re commission it & we're back in business!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome to the site, Mike.
    Turn it into a sleeper and put some 750 badges on the side covers. It would be semi-legit.
    Works Performance shocks?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Welcome to the site, Mike.
      Turn it into a sleeper and put some 750 badges on the side covers. It would be semi-legit.
      Works Performance shocks?
      Not a bad idea, it's 1170 with RS34 Mikunis so still goes ok :-) The shocks are a UK firm called Nitron, they made them to spec as the 1100 swingarm is longer than a 750 causing it to sit slightly low at the back.

Comment

Very nice... Welcome to the Nut house!
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So, in summation...

Why don't you sum up for us

What year and model:

frame

engine

What cc did the engine begin as? 1074?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            So, in summation...

Why don't you sum up for us

What year and model:

frame

engine

What cc did the engine begin as? 1074?
            The frame is a 1978 GS750, the engine is a 1980 Katana 1100, the front end & swingarm are also 1980 Katana. The fuel tank is a 1978 GS1000, the fairing is a GSX750ES.
            Clocks are GS1000 but with a GPS speedo.
            It's a long way from being a show piece but it's done a lot of miles inc around 10 trips to the Paul Ricard circuit for the Bol D'Or that used to be my annual summer holiday, sadly my knees/back/wrists etc are no longer up to hours in the saddle :-(

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Very nice... Welcome to the Nut house!
              Thanks Salty, does your brake conversion adapt to the Katana anti dive front end?

Comment

Not that it matters but the eng. and front end are "80" Katana 1100, probably a misprint.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB 711 View Post

Thanks Salty, does your brake conversion adapt to the Katana anti dive front end?
                  Yes, either with the Anti Dive connected or with it disconnected and some cartridge emulators thrown in it will work with the fork shown in your picture.

I run the 83 1100E fork that way in the 78 triples on my skunk.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That bike is a real Gem!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB 711 View Post

...the engine is a 1980 Katana 1100...
                      Katana 11...the mythical beast that wasn't offered in the U.S.

And the finished product looks quite delectable to my old, air-cooled brain. Could you tell us about the exhaust?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

We have another member from Hampshire...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...6-hampshirehog
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Katana 11...the mythical beast that wasn't offered in the U.S.

And the finished product looks quite delectable to my old, air-cooled brain. Could you tell us about the exhaust?
                          Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad it's not just me that thinks it looks sweet :-)

The exhaust is a Harris, I'm not sure how much presence they had in the USA but they were made by the legends who also made chassis kits for GP teams. Sadly they're no longer made, they were the pipe of choice for any self respecting hooligan in the 80's who had a big 4 Jap bike.

Comment

I realize different parts of the world get different bikes... I've been looking and can't find any Suzuki Katanas in 1980, first yr. I find is 1981.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

https://www.katanacentral.co.uk/hist...natimeline.asp it was a long time ago & I was18 & couldn't afford one!

Comment

Working...
                              X