New GS owner from Hamilton Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner from Hamilton Ontario

Hi all, just introducing myself, I'm Corey from Hamilton Ontario, and I just picked up this 1979 GS850g on Friday for $1200 CAD (~$900USD).

37,000 km on the clock, been sitting in a garage for the last 15 years or so, but the old guy who owned it used it well and took pretty decent care. Provided a bunch of spares, manuals and other odd bits, so I'm looking forward to cleaning her up and getting her back on the road.

I also have a Hannigan ST fairing with mount to fit the bike, so i might throw that on to compare with the windjammer.

Anything specific I should pay attention to other than the usual tires, fluids, carbs and boots, fork seals brake flush, etc?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by corey_hotline; 08-06-2023, 02:14 PM. Reason: Edited to add photos

First Welcome, next Congrats, those are great bikes. For me first thing I look at with a bike that's been sitting for yrs. is inside of fuel tank. Hopefully it was parked plum full of gas. Keep us updated. Just for kicks, wondering are you new to bikes, new to GS's, or old and seasoned? Not that it matters.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The previous owner had the tank filled, and recently drained and cleaned it, so I looks quite good inside, from the section I could see. I'll probably rinse it again and clean the petcock before I run it.

I am not new to motorcycles, but I am new to GS's and inline 4s generally. I have two older Harley Davidson's, and I rode a friend's old Goldwing to Nova Scotia and back last year.

I do all my own work, and I'm not afraid of digging in to an old bike, though electrical work perplexes me at times and I'd rather be riding than wrenching most days.

I mostly bought this bike because I was looking for something that I could do an ironbutt on reliably, and do the occasional camping/touring and two up riding.

Comment

Manual of some type. I like factory paper best, but the computer ones or Haynes or Clymer are fine also. Most stuff are in them, and the folks here pretty well know the rest. OK, nufff talking. Time to get started
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by corey_hotline View Post

I mostly bought this bike because I was looking for something that I could do an ironbutt on reliably, and do the occasional camping/touring and two up riding.
          The GS850 seat is Iron Butt compatible.
          Tip - if you plan to do 1000 miles consecutive, break your ass in over a fortnight first.
          I was doing an IB mileage every week, first years I had my two.
          The odd time it would be a genuine 1000 miles in one go.
          The only other bike I had that was comparably comfortable was the BMW R80RT.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Welcome, bike brother. (We have the same bike. Except mine does not have all the touring accessories.)

Since it's new to you, it needs ALL the maintenance done. Especially if you plan on riding it long distances. You got it for a good price, but to make it road-worthy, expect to pay roughly that amount again (or more) in fluids, gaskets, o-rings, seals, tires, cables, brake lines, carb boots, etc. See the link in my signature for where to start.

If that plastic seat trim is in good shape, take care of it... nobody makes replacements and it is somewhat sought-after by collectors who want their bike to look factory-original.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Don't forget the ALL the bearings. Especially the steer bearings. Upgrade to tapered roller and your life will be better
              Current:
              1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
              1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
              1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
              1998 Chevy C2500
              1999 Rav4

Comment

Thanks all! I take posession on Saturday. The owner has a little package of manuals and spares, points, fork seals, and other bits, so that's quite nice.

Thanks Eil, I'll check that thread out. Lots of great stuff on here.

We'll see if I get to it before the winter, the riding season is short here and I'd rather enjoy what I can on the running bike.

Comment

That bike's accessories are so period correct. It would look great, and drive great just the way it is. Work out any bugs. That Windjammer is a good one, they are heavy, but they do offer a lot of protection, and the suitcase saddlebags look classy. Great price for a great bike.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Corey.
                    Not many shops in our area that work on older bikes but IF you run into something that you can't get sorted Brian at Ultimate Cycle in Stoney Creek is a good guy.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I missed the "Hannigan Fairing". Wow, those are very well built fairings, and talk about period correct. I haven't been behind one, so I can offer nothing on wind protection, but they sure are smart looking. Probably lighter than the Windjammer. That Windjammer with the lowers would be very sought after.

Comment

Working...
                      X