It's ALIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's ALIVE!

Quite a while back I posted a bunch of questions and issues about a '79 GS550L I had acquired. I now have news of the good flavor. It lives and runs!

Took a bit. And I copped out on a few things like rebuilding the carbs. But I'm now the proud owner of an actually functional antique bike. Fair warning, she's a bit of a rat. Yes, that's Kindorf rail being used as a frame for the ammo can saddlebags. Sorry purists.

'79 GS550L - Current Project, eventually for Motocamping
    '80 XJ650 - Eventual Ratbike project.
    '15 SR400 - Daily Ride/Commuter

Congrats man, great to hear them fired up and going, ain't it?... Now for true basic facts, Don't take it to a bike night or bike show, there will be no trophies there for you... That said, We're having a "Rat Rod" show down here in a couple of wks., bring it down and there could possibly be a trophy there for you...Thanks for not letting that thing just rot away.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Where (and when) is down here?

I don't give a hoot about trophies, but I do like road trips (assuming I can swing the timeline around work/life).

Comment

Punch it up & come on down... Fall Redneck Rumble 2023, Lebanon TN. Sept. 15 thru 16... Do it twice a yr. Always amazing the things brought in there.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm going to be at a music festival in PA that weekend. Maybe next time. I'll put it on my radar.

Comment

Welcome. There is another member here, Eli69, lives west of Auburn a bit, he’s got a a GS he lovingly calls “The Ugly”. Your bike bike reminds me of his. We’ve gotten together to go camping in northern PA a couple of times.

I happen to think the ammo cans fit the look of your bike, and are practical. Thought of doing something like that myself.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks. I love my ammo can saddlebags. I just had the things laying around the garage. Cost me a cool $0 total, since I liberated the Kindorf rail, hardware, and caution tape from work. Even cheaper than the $30 amazon special soft bags on my other bike.

The tape is the really important part. It's retroreflective. So it helps my drunk self find the bike in the woods at night.

Comment

Hello from another newbie!

Your bike looks pretty cool. The tape and ammo cans definitely give it a Mad Max sorta vibe.

As much as I love a properly restored bike, there's something to be said for having something you're not afraid to get dirty or thrown around and possibly lay down
                1981 GS650G - Burnie is ugly but running!

Comment

Congrats. I dig it. How does it run with that carb setup? They always seem to stir up a bees nest of negativity with the FB "mechanics".
                  Last edited by dorkburger; 09-12-2023, 08:09 PM.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Congrats. I dig it. How does it run with that carb setup? They always seem to stir up a bees nest negativity with the FB "mechanics".
                    Frankly, a whole lot better than it did with the factory carbs. Which, to be honest were desperately in need of at least a very thorough cleaning. That'll teach me to trust the PO (who was a neighbor at the time) when he says he cleaned 'em shortly before his wife made him put the bike up for sale.

The starter motor is dead, so she's a kicker only now. Starts right up on 1st or 2nd kick. Once warmed up she idles and runs pretty nice.

Comment

I'm getting in on this kinda late but you had that running and didn't ride it to Pine Ridge? Just as well, you'd have had a miserable ride home!
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Was planning on it, then ran into some issues due to the rusty as hell gas tank crapping up the fuel filter all too fast and causing me to lean out. Didn't have time before Pine Ridge to pull and clean the inside of the tank. Add on cash flow issues it was either take the truck or buy a couple spare fuel filters and hope. Figured it was safer to take the truck.

Could've taken the 400 I suppose, but it's uninspected and the cops in the Land of Cort are particularly bastardy. I blame the college kids for enticing them with easy DUI's.

Either way I'll have this rat of a Suzuki rolling again come spring. Tank's been acid cleansed w/ vinegar and BB's. New fuel filter is in place and she's purring again.

As for the ride home.. getting rained on riding home has become a thing for me lately. It stopped bothering me a couple years ago. At least i got dry clothes waiting at home.

Comment

Seems I do remember you mentioning the rusted tank issue, I'll blame that on restuffed cigars and potent elixirs along with being in the presence of those cat supremacists.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                          X