Greetings from AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the welcome Rob S.

I had read the top 10 newbie mistakes and realized that an intake air leak might be the problem.
    I thought I did a fairly decent job putting the carbs back on with new boots and orings. I must say that geting the carbs and air box clamped on both sides was the most difficult tasks I've done on this project due to the lack of clearance to work with. The air cleaner manifold seemed like it might be a bit warped, but I eventually get the clamps on pretty solid and tight. At least I thought so.

Comment

20231114_161448A.jpg
      Bought a battery that claimed to fit my bike. Nope, can't even put on the side cover.
      Valve end caps missing. I have 3 NOS parts coming.
      Both heat shields broke off long ago. I have one NOS one with mounting H/W on the way.
      Fork paint on this side was spotty, so I began sanding it all off and will eventually get it painted.
      Just got the seat cover installed after seat pan restore and foam cushion repair and insert replacements.

Comment

20231114_161505C.jpg
        Funny thing is that the other side of the bike had a decent amount of surface rust, but this side didn't. I did live near the ocean in CA and wondering if when it was parked outside, the rusted side was receiving the moist ocean breeze directly. Don't have another explanation. It did not gain any rust while baking in my garage in AZ.
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome, good luck and enjoy. Fellow site member Kiwi Canuk did a beautiful restoration on that same bike a few years ago.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Welcome, good luck and enjoy. Fellow site member Kiwi Canuk did a beautiful restoration on that same bike a few years ago.
            Is there a way to tag Kiwi?
            No signature

Comment

All you have to do is type the @ symbol, immediately followed by the username. You generally don't even have to finish typing the username for it to pop up/fill in. you just have to then select it.
              Kiwi Canuck.

type the @, then K, you get a list of members starting with K, just pick the one you want.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-15-2023, 12:48 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                All you have to do is type the @ sympol, immediately followed by the username. You generally don't even have to finish typing the username for it to pop up/fill in. you just have to then select it.
                Kiwi Canuck.

type the @, then K, you get a list of members starting with K, just pick the one you want.
                Nice...thanks for that Rich82GS750TZ
                No signature

Comment

Here is my rebuild thread.

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                  2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                  1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                  2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                  1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                  1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                  1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                  Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Dang Kiwi Canuck, the results were absolutely stunning.
                    I'm not sure I'll be able to go to that level of detail.
                    If you don't mind, what was the total spend on that project? $1000 just for body paint makes me a little hesitant.

Comment

BTW, I am the original owner and purchased for $2100 back in 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub6092 View Post
                        Dang Kiwi Canuck, the results were absolutely stunning.
                        I'm not sure I'll be able to go to that level of detail.
                        If you don't mind, what was the total spend on that project? $1000 just for body paint makes me a little hesitant.
                        Thanks, I was pleased with the outcome, the original owner was impressed, the grin on his face when he took it for a ride after I delivered it back to him was worth the effort.

All in was a little over $3,000 CAD so about $2,200 US.

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

20231116_190955A.jpg
                          Anyone seen this before? As far as I can tell, the only way to replace this exhaust clamp is to cut the pipe and reweld.
                          I was planning to give JB Weld Hi Heat Epoxy a shot while clamping the pieces together.
                          Should I just skip this or is it worth a try? The idea of cutting and welding the pipe is not something I would look forward to.

Already had a broken rear shock frame bolt, but did the drill out, tap and install of a new stud and it seems to work.

Comment

Well had to give a try and it didn't work as it cracked when torqueing, but it did seal and I no longer have a horrendous exhaust smell when I run it in the garage.

I recently got a new drain tube for the air mainifold/plenum which came with a plug installed. I just saw this today and when I removed it, fuel came gushing out. I was quite surprised by this.

Comment

That doesn't sound right. But, you've done the homework, I have not. That's disappointing. I'd try to get them on the phone. Customer service was really good when I bought mine and had questions. But, again, that was pre-Covid. Now, who knows?

Sorry if I sent you to the UK site. Not my intention. I do know there is a difference.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                                That doesn't sound right. But, you've done the homework, I have not. That's disappointing. I'd try to get them on the phone. Customer service was really good when I bought mine and had questions. But, again, that was pre-Covid. Now, who knows?

Sorry if I sent you to the UK site. Not my intention. I do know there is a difference.
                                Sorry Rich and thanks for the quick response. I was already in the All other tax region. It's just when I tried to select, it only showed the remaing two options. You did not send me to the UK site, but some selections on the USA site take you to the UK site. Apologies.

Comment

Working...
                                X