Hello from Long Island NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Long Island NY

Hello, I recently picked up a titled 1982 GS550M Katana for $350 has only 7,500 miles, sat in original owners garage since 1993!
    Gas tank was totally rusted even on the top, gas cap was falling into the tank! All the electric works, no scratches on anything, just some corrosion/dirt. Took gummed up carbs off and cleaned everything, put penetrating oil in cylinders and got it running with aux fuel tank. Was running on 3 cylinders but after 10 minutes of running it kicked in! Major hanging idle and will change intake boots when they come in next week-should have done that first! Pictures coming soon, looking forward to contributing and learning.​
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

First ride was great, major hanging idle-hitting 3,500 RPM changing intake boots next, pretty confident that will fix problem, idles good at times and has nice throttle response, brakes actually still work after sitting for 30 years-will replace fluid and inspect once its running right.

Comment

Welcome. Now that you know it runs, would definitely be doing yourself a favor to completely go thru the bike. I bought my bike after a 12 year slumber and addressed items in a piecemeal fashion, and because of it I chased annoying but fairly small gremlins for a few years.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

New brake hoses, imperative.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The new intakes fixed my problems! Bike runs great now, faster than my 550F and the bike feels bigger. Love this bike but I am surprised by the amount of vibration felt in the seat mainly. Constant from 4200- 5500 RPM at highway speeds. Do other GS550 owners feel this? Road tests mention some vibration but my 550F is smoother.

Comment

Glad to hear the intakes got it sorted.
              A carb synch MIGHT help with the vibration.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I bench synced pretty good but will try the vacuum sync Installing new tires soon, have to get rid of the 30 year old back and original front tire! Maybe that will help bibes

Comment

Originally posted by DomsKat550 View Post
                  The new intakes fixed my problems! ....
                  Good. Tell us about finding supplier for intake boots.

Looks like you found a tank also.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Good. Tell us about finding supplier for intake boots.

Looks like you found a tank also.

Found Suzuki intake boots from an Ebay vendor-Everett Powersports -came to $173 with shipping and tax- pricy but shouldn't have to worry about them for many years
                    No tanks available from USA on ebay, had to get one from Germany- had to derust inside but wasn't too bad, I used Metal Rescue, works great. Cost with shipping was $180 for the tank. No major dents but has thin bondo all over which I'm in process of removing and redo. I will be painting tank original silver color, I'm in the sign business so I am going to make my own graphics

Comment

Sold my 1975 Hon_a 550F- Suzuki won me over!
                      Last edited by DomsKat550; 12-28-2023, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Painted my tank silver, now rebuilding my forks and cleaning up rims, hope to be back riding it at the beginning of March

Comment

Looking good! .
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Runs great...finally after cleaning gas cap vent! Would die out after high speed during slow down and stall. And changed Reg/Rec now battery charges nicely, only thing left is to figure out why I have excess brake lever travel and clean and paint more of engine.

Comment

Originally posted by DomsKat550 View Post
                              Runs great...finally after cleaning gas cap vent! Would die out after high speed during slow down and stall. And changed Reg/Rec now battery charges nicely, only thing left is to figure out why I have excess brake lever travel and clean and paint more of engine .

Impressive.
                              THanks for update.

You said you might make you own "graphics" (as a sign maker).
                              Did you?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X