Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of a 81 GS650G

Hello!

I live in central/southeast Ohio and recently stumbled upon an 81 GS650G. I'm the second owner and it has 9000 miles on it.

Hasn't run since 99, but is in great condition outside of being dusty & dirty. It had a full tank of gas and surprisingly it fired up and idled with a jump.

I haven't had a chance to dive into the carbs or anything else yet, but I think the floats are stuck because I've got gas pouring out of the overflow tubes when it runs. It's also only firing on two cylinders at the moment, which I'm attributing to fuel flow issues.

The only downside (in my opinion) is that it came with a Windjammer on it and a sissy bar/luggage rack.

This is my fifth vintage bike, and I'm not a fan of add-ons and such. I just love the look/feel of the original bikes. Although I've never ridden with a windjammer on, so I'll reserve judgement

I'm excited to be here and to learn from yall. Most of my experience is with 70s Hondas, so I'm excited to get into Suzukis.

Mitch

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    1981 GS650G / 1970 CB175 / 1974 CB550F / 1976 KZ750 Twin / 1976 GL1000

Welcome, Mitch. That bike looks great!

If you haven't done so already, you might want to turn on the feature "Show Signatures". In mine, there are several informative links which should help you with your rehab project.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

First, Welcome. Nice looking project. Just by looks, the regular stuff should have you good to go. A few min. to go through the links above ^^^^ can be a great help, even if a bike guy, something you may have not seen nor thought of before... Riding behind a fairing, nothing like riding without one, kind'f the same thing but totally different. Good luck and keep us updated.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you don't ride long distances or in the cold, you won't need a fairing.
        Those who do, and have fairings, are glad they fitted them.
        @RobS will be along in a minute, I'm sure...
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, Rob don't want anything on his bike that didn't come on it, Kind'f wondered if he actually put his butt on his.
          Last edited by rphillips; 04-06-2024, 10:27 AM.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome Mitch

. . . . . . . .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome Mitch.

I had a new 82 650G, had it for 20+ years. Never had a real problem with it.

Yah, that looks like nice stock.
              Exhaust is impressive.
              Origianl seat cover.
              Seat still has the rear grab bar (usally taken off for any rack or backrest or side bags).
              And the cover over swingarm pivot. Mine fell out, I replaced and glued in and still fell out.

You Can say that the fairing is "period correct' jammer.
              That looks like it could be same model as what I had with an 80 850G, I think I still have electronic copy of the manaul (I could send you if you want).
              I suppose you know if take off the fairing then will not have headlight nor front t/signals, so will need replacements if PO didnt have them yet to give you.
              I would suggest you retain the fairing installed for a while.
              Ride it on some cool/cold occassion, colder than might usally ride, then stand up on the pegs to see what you are missing.
              Can ride lot further and in cooler weather with fairing. Just have to get used to comments about it being "an old mans bike". (like I did about 20 years ago).

Some comment about a GS: Learn about the charging system. Learn about the o-ring in the carb boots up against the heads.

SOme comment about an G (shaft drive): Learn about the "hub" in the rear wheel. Lube the splines (moly paste) with each time have rear wheel off. Learn how to inspect for wear. (is many postings)

Some comment about 650:
              Is one of the GS model that taking off carbs is clumbersome without much room there for airbox and carbs and boots.

650s have somethings that are unique from most all the other GSes.
              One thing is those caps on end of the cam cover, with the screws up-under-behind the caps. And some of the sensors and swtiches and body work.

DO update your progress. Looks like it should "clean up".

Oh, south-central Ohio (Dayton-to-Cinci area) has a handfull of active GSR members.

Oh, do look in other section of forum for the "Brown County" Rally in June in southern Indiania, (Bedford Indiania actaully).

Dave

>> Later Note: Opps, now I see Heath is east of Columbus.
              Dayton & Cinci are more southwest Ohio.
              Last edited by Redman; 04-05-2024, 09:58 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
              X