New member: hello and good afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member: hello and good afternoon

Hello all my names William im going to be buying a 1985 gs700es tomorrow.
    I'm excited for it I've been riding for a bit now I started on a 1994 yamaha virago 750 which i loved but i feel its time for a different style of bike so hence the gs purchase

The only problem with it is that it stutter and "bogs" down at around 3k it does have a stock intake and a 4 to 1 aftermarket vance and hines exhaust so I'm thinking it's tunning or plugged jets but I've never adjusted linked exhausts before so any advice is much appreciated
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome, GS700ES, nice looking bike. If you install a V&H exhaust and do nothing else, bike should run fine. You can get it more perfect fooling with carbs but should start and run fine with no other tuning. It stutters and bogs down around 3K, does it clear up as it goes above 3K, or is the 3K all it will do? I'd check the air filter, if it's clogged it'll run fine low but when needs more air for higher RPM, it may not get enough. Also I'd try running with pet cock on PRI. Got a clue how long it's been since ridden regularly?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

So update it was the opposite of what the seller said runs fine above 3k so I messed with idle screw and Got it to idle rough but it idles but theres definitely a air leak around the snorkel that I'm going to address tomorrow caused by one of the screws not existing lol now the only major problem is the throttle lag but I'm hopeful that fixing the air leak will fix that. But some problems are expected on a 1k$ bike

Comment

V&H used to suggest removing the air box lid if no intake mods when installing 4-into-1.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, do you remember the rest of the V&H recommendations? Mine came with a sheet that said increase main jet size to XXX (I remembered for a long time, but not now) and remove the air box lid.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

it said to remove lid and to up the main jets?...i would bump maybe 3 sizes and see if bike pulls redline clean and go from there.
            st.3 kit dynojet is more fun IMO...

Comment

Nah...no memory. It's been 40 years since I bought brand new exhaust.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ok so pulled carbs and cleaned them best I could now it's will idle where it should but the throttle revs up and hangs whenever it's given even alittle throttle it only drops back down once I shut off the engine so I'm guessing vacuum leak or idle mixture but I know very little about this engine so any suggestions on what to try would be amazing.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I suspect you need a "real" carb cleaning...
                    I think this link still works: https://www.thegsresources.com/carbclean.php
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Intake air leak?

Comment

Working...
                      X