Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of great information on here...thanks for turning this into a Sticky; good reference no matter which computer I sign onto.

I am a new member and owner of a 1982 GS750TZ. It's gonna need a lot of TLC and this site will definitely help me with this endeavor.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Good Day fellow GS owners!

Just picked up an 82 GS 750E in beauty condition. Only 25,000kms. As much as I hate to cut into such a beauty stocker, i will be cafe'ing it over the next 4 months. Already have boxes full of parts that I cant wait to throw at this thing, including and Aisin AMR500 Supercharger that just showed up from AUS. So far I haven't seen a street blown GS in my life, so I'll be documenting it fully to share with every one. Thank you to everyone who has provided info on this site, its an awesome resource.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Hello fellow GS riders!

I'm fz6rgirl, and I own a 1983 GS1100GL as well as a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. We picked up the GS last April and unfortunately it has been in the shop since late May with broken secondary drive gears :-(. It was a solid bike with 40,000 miles on it when we picked it up. I ride the FZ and my fiance rides the GS. We had to replace the drive shaft seal back by the rear tire, but now we are stuck with this problem that we can't get ahead on. We got the new gears from Suzuki, but since Suzuki made the gears bigger and stronger, we need to get new shims. And Suzuki discontinued the shims we need back in 1995. The bike ran great, no other issues, solid bike. When we picked it up, it was this awful teal color with a black color, so we rattle canned the bike a flat black(fiance's idea). We put some different handlebars on it so it's more comfortable for him(he's a 6'4 dude), so he felt a little cramped with the stock bars on it.

Me, I have been riding since 2009. My FZ was my first bike and it's a fantastic bike! I haven't had a chance to ride the GS yet, but maybe one of these days, I'll take it out for a spin if we can ever get it up and running.

I read the rules, so I'm going to go into the technical questions to ask my question, but I thought I would introduce myself and the GS. :-)

Comment

Welcome! An FZ6R is currently top on my list of "maybe someday" bikes, for now I'm fixing up an old GS850 to ride in the summer.

See BassCliff's mega welcome for everything you always wanted to know about repairing a GS and then some. There's loads of knowledge on this forum, if anyone can help get your GS back on the road, it's these people.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

OLD GUY and new member

Hi all. I'm brand new to the site and feel so lucky to have found it.
            I posted my restore project then stumbled onto the new member page.

Current GS is a 1979 1000S (bought it 12 years ago from my brother who bought it new from a dealer in Del Rio, Texas while he was stationed there (US Air Force).
            Bike has not been running since 1985.

Been into off road riding since we moved to AZ 3 years ago and due to popular demand ( read wife) will now finish the above project.

The wife and all the kids ride as well so guess that means we did good raising the kids.
            David in Chandler, AZ

Comment

new member from sydney australia

G"day
              My wife got me a 1981 gsx 400 f for my 10 year wedding anniversary which i am SLOWLY doing up..The bike was almost complete except the left side frame cover.Will post some pictures i go along with the rebuild.
              regards john
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Hey John, welcome! Man that's a cool anniversary present! We're having our tenth this year but somehow I don't think another bike is in there for me... haha

Looking forward to the pic's and rebuild too, should be quite interesting.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hello all! My name is Drew and I have purchased my first big boy's motorcycle. When I was younger we has a few small dirtbikes but nothing like the 1980 GS1000g I just bought for $250 off of Craigslist. It is nothing short of a project but I am looking forward to working on it with my son who turns 4 in a few months. Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum. Its nice to be associated with people that are suckers for the same things haha

Comment

<Sigh>

From the first post in this thread:

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Greetings and Salutations,

(EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!)
                    New members will get more response, interaction, and help when they post in the proper sections of the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Perhaps the Admins of this site should leave your first post as is, and then lock down the thread so no one can post in your thread.....

That would be a better way of doing it

<Sigh>

I have offered to assist them in the running of the site, but my offer has gone by the way side, so I don't offer anymore.....

Comment

Just another new guy

Hello; just joined the recource. My name is Bill, I live in Alaska, I dragrace a GS Suzuki, and I am looking forward to using this site.

Comment

awesome journey

Hello all,

My name is Jesse and I currently live in Chattanooga, TN and I am addicted to GS's

My GS journey began when I was 16, without permission from my mom I purchased a "clapped out" 82 GS 850GL (i think.) Needless to say it needed a carb clean and other various things. I rode down in Florida while going to tech school and got more interested in the bigger "zuk's," it was then that i made the 82-83 GS1100E's my dream bike.

Little did i know after going back to New York and working as a tech for awhile, i came across an 79 GS1000, Got it going and rode it a short time then sold it. Four months later I was cruising to my friends house and around a bend i spotted my dream bike. It had been laid down and had an older style front head light plastic that was busted and some tassels on the bars. I payed 650.00 for this beast of a bike, running and driving and with some K+N's and a 4 into 1 kerker it sounded pretty good.

The 82 GS 1100E then became a reality. I have owned it for 7 or 8 years and ever since have been looking for stock parts along the way. I replaced all the top end gaskets. The most recent stock parts are from an 83 GS1100E, black pipes, stock air box setup, seat, and other misc. parts.

Through out the years me and my dad have owned several 550's and 750's, it has been a marvelous journey. I started viewing this site a few years back and recently decided to become a member.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the long story, but it had to be told!!

Comment

New member in MD

Hello to everyone,
                            I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1980 GS250T that had sat in a barn in PA since 1991. Needless to say, it is in pretty bad shape, but I'm still going to try to restore it. Both mufflers were rusted out, the air box was full of insulation, acorn shells etc. tail light busted and surface rust on most everything. The motor does turn over, so thats a plus. I got it off the original owner, title and owners manual included. The bike is mostly complete, but needs a left side cover, which may be hard to find. I mostly like Hondas (I have 4 or them) because they're easy and straight-forward to work on, but so far, I like what I see on this bike. Thanks, Jack (oldpoo)

Comment

New guy in AZ

Iherited a '81 GS1100 from my stepdad 2 years ago. Was in pieces for over 18 years until i got my hands on it. I had a shop rebuild the engine, since my stepdad had it completely dis-assembled and worked over. Than i put it all back together deleting a bunch of useless **** and making it semi-custom. Rode it literally less than100 miles and the rotor spun on the crank and destroyed itself. Had another shop look at it and said i needed a motor. Didnt let that deter me though, luckily i found a race crank on ebay on the cheap and snatched it up so now im in the process of changing the entire bike around. I have lowered it and strutted it, lowered the seat height by 3 inches and seriously modified the seat pan. Re-wiring the entire thing and building a new exhaust. I'll post pics pretty soon and some of it after i paint it.

Comment

Hi,

From the first post in this thread:

Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X