This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    Name is Ted. Ive been riding about 3 years. I have a 77 GL1000 (my first bike) and a 82 GS650L..my 2nd bike. Both were my Dads. Before he died he gave me the 77 and my bro in law the 82. Ive got the wing up and running pretty decent. My bro in law didnt keep up on the 82 and its been sitting for 3 years. i started dicking around with last night. i have some posts in fuel/gas thread on here. from what im being told i have to rebuild carbs. anyone in cleveland that can help me with that? hah! ill see what my wing friends think. i just replaced battery, oil, plugs, fuel (i need a new petcock too). i reconnected petcock and when its in prime position a port between the carbs leaks...so i guess its gunked up bad and fuel cant get in maybe? so anyway...new project f f f f .

Comment

Hi,

I think I have figured out why so many people post in this thread. By default the forum timeline is reversed with the newest posts first and the oldest posts last. Thus, the new member never sees this in the first post.

Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

230 is good but 1000 is better!!

Looking for some help from fast guys!!!! Whats the hot set up?? At the point of CLUTCHES and Carbs!!!! Give me some facts- please!!!!!!! Please look at my picks before you waste "our" time!!!! Thank You. This aint my first paper route. I think cause of the facts/ physics I'm needing the hot set ups, I know you "fast guys" are out there. These problems are fixable!!!!! Please check profile before knocking me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aka LT-1000 View Post
          Looking for some help from fast guys!!!! Whats the hot set up?? At the point of CLUTCHES and Carbs!!!! Give me some facts- please!!!!!!! Please look at my picks before you waste "our" time!!!! Thank You. This aint my first paper route. I think cause of the facts/ physics I'm needing the hot set ups, I know you "fast guys" are out there. These problems are fixable!!!!! Please check profile before knocking me!!!!
          I looked at your pictures,But you need to post this in the proper section and you will probably get some responses from the guru's on here that will have answer to you problem. I am sure some of the drag racers have seen this. me not so much
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Jon here just moved to Colorado springs, 3rd day here found a gs450t for a steal of a price. Have build threads on dotheton and nighthawk forums on a previous build. A 91 nighthawk cafe. Going the same route with the gs, not here to ruffle feathers of purists just passionate about bikes and have my own vision.

Comment

New to the forum

Hello everyone,
              My name is Said, I am a proud owner of a 79 GS 550E for more than 15 years. I just love this bike, no other words. It has been a sweet ride.
              Lately it has been sitting in the hangar due to carbs issue. Looking for help on the net I came accross the website. Hopefully I can get it going again.
              Thank you for sharing and the wealth of knowledge,

Comment

Hi guys,I'm new to this! My name is pikkie and from pretoria,south-africa. I own a 1982 gs1000g.what a solid bike!!wil post pics as soon as I uploaded some

Comment

hello.......

Greetings and Salutations,

(EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!)

Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not receive their proper greeting. If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                  DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                  Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hello my name is Steve and I have no idea how to post comments or how's this whole forum thing works. I have a 77 gs550 that I have rebuilt into a cafe racer style mod. I also monoshock it for that more custom look. The bike was a left in the rain (like 15 years)outdoors bike that had no chance to ever roar again. I bought it for a 100.00 dollars U.S. with a title. The #3 spark plug hole was stripped and had to re tap it. The piston rings were all seized in the piston and were replaced with used decent ones. The fork tubes were replaced and resealed tires are Dunlop k70 front and rear. Rebuilt the master cylinder and rebuilt a front brake from a 74 gt750. Bike has clip ons with cut up bars from original handlebars. Due to the custom rear swing arm I had to weld a tensioner because I can not tighten on the chain. And I also respoked the rims. A lot of sweat and work. The carbs were shot and could not be rebuilt the insides eroded away(what a heart breaker) and used ones were bought rebuilt and rejetted. A used gas tank was bought and knee dents banged in and painted. Don't know how to post pics but I love the sound of this monster. What a relief from hopeless to prominent success. And the bike only had 1 original owner with5,230 miles on it..

Comment

Before You Get Told Off...

Originally posted by Steve0steve View Post
                      Hello my name is Steve and I have no idea how to post comments or how's this whole forum thing works. I have a 77 gs550 that I have rebuilt into a cafe racer style mod. I also monoshock it for that more custom look. The bike was a left in the rain (like 15 years)outdoors bike that had no chance to ever roar again. I bought it for a 100.00 dollars U.S. with a title. The #3 spark plug hole was stripped and had to re tap it. The piston rings were all seized in the piston and were replaced with used decent ones. The fork tubes were replaced and resealed tires are Dunlop k70 front and rear. Rebuilt the master cylinder and rebuilt a front brake from a 74 gt750. Bike has clip ons with cut up bars from original handlebars. Due to the custom rear swing arm I had to weld a tensioner because I can not tighten on the chain. And I also respoked the rims. A lot of sweat and work. The carbs were shot and could not be rebuilt the insides eroded away(what a heart breaker) and used ones were bought rebuilt and rejetted. A used gas tank was bought and knee dents banged in and painted. Don't know how to post pics but I love the sound of this monster. What a relief from hopeless to prominent success. And the bike only had 1 original owner with5,230 miles on it..
                      Steve,

There's instructions on how to post on here (as well as where to post this type of Intro).

Start using the search button and have fun learning how to get familiar with this site. You've done quite a bit and pictures would go great with your journal entry above.

See you around.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

(EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!)

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Greetings and Salutations,

sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

81 gs1000l

I have a 81 gs1000L, I bought it in 1983 with 16000 miles on it, it now has 46000 miles on it, I rebuilt the motor last spring, newer crank shaft, new rings ( pistons still looked good), new gaskets and seals, new air cleaner, new stainless hex bolts for entire motor and other parts too. I just ordered up some progressive suspension 416 series air shocks that I will be installing this week. It's a great bike and I can't wait to start riding this season. Ive also got a 83 gs850L that I picked up last year from a friend that my son will he riding.

Bob

Comment

hi; i'm bob, in the out skirts of detroit; i just stole, i mean bought a 1980 gs850g, for almost nothing. 9400 miles and was put in storage in 1995; the bike is mint, but i haven't ridden a bike since 1981. i hope i haven't gotten myself in to far over my head; i need to get it started to establish a baseline and go from there. it is a sweet bike, dark maroon in color with gold accents. 850 1.jpg

Comment

calebb75-----new guy!!!!

Hey all. I'm a very proud owner of a 1979 GS750L. Love it!!! Only a few problems and I will fix them. Working on restoring it completely hopefully this winter. I live in Duluth MN an love riding up here except the 9 months of winter! Hahahaha. This bike is my first and thanks to you all, I can continue to ride and enjoy it. Look forward in meeting some of you in the future!

PS.....my profile picture is me on the awesomeness one ;-).

Comment

Gday all, new Aussie member here with a GS1150 which is rather modified.
                                Ive put some pics up on this thread, called, Greetings from Australia.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X