No announcement yet.

New from Oregon, GS425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went on a ride Saturday to go pick up a new pair of summer gloves.... on the way back I lost power to the right cylinder in 2nd gear around 10k rpm while trying to pass a truck. Figuring I friend a coil or condenser, I managed to make it home on just the 1 cylinder. Upon inspection found that the contact point on the right side decided to destroy itself, separating the point from the spring and frying the points. Got 2 on order and going to replace both at the same time.. guess this is what I should expect for a 35 year old bike being on the road for the first time in 21 years..

Comment

It was never a difficult job to set points and time them, but I don't miss it. I'd look into converting it if I were you. It might be a bit pricey though.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        It was never a difficult job to set points and time them, but I don't miss it. I'd look into converting it if I were you. It might be a bit pricey though.

cg
        Looked into that and have read mixed reviews..

I've read about some that convert and don't get much more than a few thousand miles out of the new electronic system before it fails..

I think it's close to $350 to convert my particular bike over, and I'm thinking it may be cheaper to keep with points..

Perhaps I should just carry spares with me?

Comment

Change your condensors also (you can do that without changing the timing)

$350?

No Dyna S for your bike?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

+1 the above from BigT is excellent advice

Comment

The Dynatek DS3-3C that can go on the 425 includes coils as well as the Dyna S, so it's a bit dearer than the others.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

got my points today from ebay ($20 w/ shipping for the pair)... some really bad Chinese knock offs I'm guessing. Anyways, needed a bit of spring modification and mounting holes lengthened out but I did manage to make the $8 part work and seems to be running well. We'll see if I make it into work tomorrow...

Comment

That's the spirit...what kind of tools do you have access to for working on your bike?
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I bought OEM points and condensers for a '79 GS850 I got free about 20 years ago. They were about $100. Ididn't even know there was aftermarket avilable. I like the old 400/425. They are real roller bearing GS. The 450/500 have plain bearings. The shaft drive 650 does too. Nothing wrong with Plain bearings, but to me, a true GS doesn't use them on the crank, they have a two stroke type crank assembly.

Good work, by the way.

I don't envy you barrelling up the Sunset back and forth from the West side, if that is what you do. You meet the nicest people in the area, but a lot of them will fight for every inch of the Sunset. Tailgating seems to be mandatory. Leave a gap, and someone squeezes into it.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      I bought OEM points and condensers for a '79 GS850 I got free about 20 years ago. They were about $100. Ididn't even know there was aftermarket avilable. I like the old 400/425. They are real roller bearing GS. The 450/500 have plain bearings. The shaft drive 650 does too. Nothing wrong with Plain bearings, but to me, a true GS doesn't use them on the crank, they have a two stroke type crank assembly.

Good work, by the way.

I don't envy you barrelling up the Sunset back and forth from the West side, if that is what you do. You meet the nicest people in the area, but a lot of them will fight for every inch of the Sunset. Tailgating seems to be mandatory. Leave a gap, and someone squeezes into it.
                      I wouldn't dare take the Sunset in either.. well I do to a point and then take some of the backroads in through the West Hills. West Union is a nice parallel route, as well as Germantown Rd.

Great to see yet another GS member close in the area... I get out to Tillamook often with Dual Sport rides on my little XT. It's a nice destination after meandering through the TSF.

Comment

Yes, you have a lot of members in your area.

GustovH and Big_T gave us a nice tour of the west side of Portland and out to the coast last year at the PNW rally.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Finally was able to get my battery looking a little better... and added my model badge!!

Previously didn't have anything holding the battery in other than the +/- cables, so decided to address it last night. Painted the 3 visible sides of the battery black and cut up an old belt I had lying around. Ended up with pretty much the look I had in mind. Don't think I need a cover now...

Comment

You have done a nice job with your 425L. May I respectfully suggest you remove the last vestige of "L-ness" and just have it say GS 425

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

You have done a nice job with your 425L. May I respectfully suggest you remove the last vestige of "L-ness" and just have it say GS

cg425
                              I fully respect your suggestion... but I'm thinking I may keep it as a nod to what it used to be. No shame in riding an L

Comment

You have done a nice job with your 425L. May I respectfully suggest you remove the last vestige of "L-ness" and just have it say GS 425

cg
                                I think you should leave it on, just for the "L" of it
                                '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                                X