No announcement yet.

Hiya, just got a 83 gs750t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look on the headstock....if the label is still there, the model year will be stamped behind the model name i.e. GS750T "?"...like Tank says; D for 1983, Z for 1982. Tank is also right about the black engine..only in 1983. It looks silver to me on one side 1982 "should" have a chrome chain guard...your's looks to be black. Rectangular blinkers were an '83 item too. Though the fronts don't look original (hard to see though).

Maybe you have an '83 with '82 tins. I have a spare set of 1983 body parts, painted red, that I have run before...

sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

1983. Just with the wrong tank/side covers (those are what you call tins right?). Maybe they were leftover on the factory floor and they were all "those will fit right? Why not?"

Off to turn some wrenches today. Gotta get the thing running better. The idle is wonky; it doesn't want to stay idling without the choke open about 1/2 way. Idles high when it is. I also need a headlight bucket/ headlight this one has been dropped too many times and it is kind of oblong. Gotta take some measurements and see what headlight will actually fit on the thing without looking horribad.

Comment

You need to clean the carbs.

I'll check and see what is in my headlight bucket on my rat bike, it's a sealed beam lens/bulb combo, meant for old jeeps and dodge trucks, fits perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by ennuii View Post
          Yeah, I wasn't really looking for collectible or rare. I was looking for more like "Ooh a motorcycle that I can afford!"
          Amen to that, I too am on a mid 80's GS of the rarer variety, my 700ES. Welcome to the forum and to the joys of owning a Suzuki GS. Almost anything you need help with working on these old beasts, or with techniques related to riding, these guys can help. I can't begin to list how much I've learnt here since I started riding in October. I'm not sure if you've taken one yet, but if not, I strongly suggest you take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthTAiness View Post
            .... I'm not sure if you've taken one yet, but if not, I strongly suggest you take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

This is the first bike I have owned myself, but I have had my license for probably 10 years. I have taken the rider course 2 times now. One to get the license, and once to be able to ride the bike on my military base. For some reason health and safety doesn't recognize that in order to get a licence you need the course, and that having the license means you have taken the course. S yeah, took it again last month...

Yup, gotta do the carbs Hopefully I don't botch it too bad. I'm rather apprehensive about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ennuii View Post
              Yup, gotta do the carbs Hopefully I don't botch it too bad. I'm rather apprehensive about it.
              The worst part of the carb rebuild is getting them back on after you're finished Just follow the tutorial and it'll be good.

best of luck to ya...
              sigpic
              1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
              2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Good news! Z1 sent me a care package with new sprockets and a chain! Yay! Going to be a fun week ahead. If only I didn't have four 12 hour shifts between me and hitting the garage...

So, other than the o-rings (which I just got the whole set from cycleorings.com) What else am I gonna need to replace? I can't start tearing the carbs out/apart until Thursday- but shopping will make it better.

Buying float bowl gaskets as well. Those'll probably be good to have on hand. Just not quite sure what else needs to be bought so I'm not waiting on parts. Who like waiting on parts during riding season?

Suggestions?

Comment

So. The air screw is stuck in one of the carbs and the Suzuki dealer refused to do it. So that's at a machinist now. And one of the fuel valve inlet housings was junk...50$! Each. Yuck.

Waiting on parts/ the carb to come back. I hope they don't duck up my carb. I wouldn't know where to get another one. I'll get some pic up later if I can.

Comment

So, some pics and updates.
                    It's in pieces!

as you can see, the carbs all came out to do a deep cleaning. They were rather clean as it was, but still a nice long bath for each of them in the "Dunk" was a safety precaution.

all clean and back together. New seals, and new parts that were broken/seized. like float seats and air screws.

That "super aircraft stripper" from autozone is no joke. Eats through paint... and the shirt you are wearing, and the undershirt, and eventually skin and bone too... This was stripping that god awful brown paint. right before I media blasted the heck out of the rust. I'm thinking blue... or orange or something. Totally rattle canning it. Because it's a temporary thing.

While working in my father's garage (where I'm renting there is no garage.)
                    He has to one up me...

and

anyone want to buy a 81 shovelhead fully restored in and around MA?

but now after being strapped down on the motorcycle lift the front forks are leaking. And I'm gonna do a chain conversion (Z1 enterprises are awesome.)
                    Oh, and I have to synch the carbs/make sure I put all the pieces back on lol.

Comment

Update:
                      Everything went back together and fit!
                      Rebuilt the front forks and they no longer leak.
                      The thing now rides!

I now just have to figure out how to re-cover the seat. It's mostly duct tape. Anyone know what seat this matches with, since pit-replicas and saddleman's doesnt have this bike's seat. I talked to pit-replica and they said since the seat is stitched and not heat embossed it isn't the original =/

And then figure out what I want to do with the paint. It's rattle canned blue.
                      other things I plan do to it:
                      new petcock
                      either paint/wrap/replace exhaust.
                      chain conversion.
                      new mirrors.

Comment

Right before we went on our first ride ^_^

Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2015, 05:06 PM. Reason: this picture thing does NOT want to work.

Comment

Working...
                        X