No announcement yet.

New 850 Ride. Big Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes he just returned my call from late last night. He says he was getting 13.75 volts back at the battery. Said he had gone on a few trips recently and had no trouble with the charging system. Confirmed that the stator and rectifier are new. Suggested I start checking the grounds and connections to RR.
    Also took my email in case he comes up with anything and is around for phone calls today. Unfortunately I made it 170kms away plus a two hour ferry ride so it's tough to head back there.

Comment

Thanks Garth.. Stator Anyone??

Hi all,

Huge thanks to bccap who just rode over here and gave me electrical connections and a crimping tool and generally was a great guy. I really appreciated that. Think he's going to post some pictures.

Just completed the electrical fault chart and looks like the stator is bad, only getting about 28 volts on all three readings. Regulator tests look good.

Sooooo. Now looking for a replacement stator in time to get on the road and still enjoy the journey east on the bike. Anyone happen to have one they can magically get to North Vancover in short order?

The PO was pretty good about, feels bad, and is sending me the cash for the part. Bummer is that he replaced the stator with a new one, the old one was still functioning so we put in a box with other spare parts and mailed it to my place in Toronto yesterday!

I'll check in to see if you guys have a magical today solution. Otherwise I'll get on the horn tomorrow when places open (at least some places, bccap tells me shops are closed here Mondays too.

Thanks all.

Comment

Pictures for Rob. and of course one of the bike because it looks so good......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Hey look, it even has a rack on the back for that big car battery.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How often do rotor's go bad? If the fault finding chart ends up showing bad stator, might the rotor also be in question?

Given my time squeeze I want to do what I can to get the part order right first time.

thanks

Comment

Hardly ever. If you can't get the part, buy the car battery, I ran my 850 for 300 miles on a single charge on the bike bat before it died. As TKent says you can go all day on a car bat.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The rotors are permanent magnets, never seen a bad one on a GS… Except crash damage.

But it could happen. Heat, impact, a bolt or something coming loose inside the engine and going through it, a few other things. But it wouldn't fail instantly, if it was charging fine and now it isn't that's not it.

Comment

Ok great. Got a stator from RMStator on the way by FedEx today. Arriving latest tomorrow 10am, so I'll get the old one out and set up for the new one.

I've removed all the screws from the left hand cover and it's not budging, at least not easily. I'll pick up a rubber mallet today but any suggestions for getting it off? I may have trouble getting a new gasket today so is there any chance I can reuse that gasket for the week long ride back home? It'll be a "newly" installed gasket... meaning not many km's on the bike since installation but it may have been done a year or so ago.

Comment

As long as it isn't torn, it will probably be okay to reuse in a pinch. It will probably seep some. I would keep an extremely close eye on it. Check on it at increasing intervals. At the end of the block, after 1 mile, and then 5 miles, and then 10 miles etc, until you're up to only checking at every pit stop. And be checking your oil level, of course.

If it does leak after all, you can always make a gasket from a sheet of gasket material available any auto parts store. It will be tedious, but it beats waiting two weeks for an OEM gasket to get shipped in from Japan. I've heard of people using cardboard cereal boxes, but I'm not sure I recommend it.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

The stator cover is held by the stator magnets, it will come off with a really good pull and wiggle and maybe a couple taps with the mallet. There are also a couple guide plugs that might be helping hold it in.

Remember when the cover is removed to keep an eye on the washers and such for the starter and to get them back in in the right order.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks the cover came off eventually with the rubber mallet. Since I'm waiting for the stator to arrive tomorrow morning I installed new bars and a windscreen. Will post before and afters soon, along with a bit of a travel log. It looks great and the bars feel excellent. Turns out the break lights are fine, switch connection at the handle was disconnected and at the rear switch just needed adjusting.
                        New sealed beam headlight installed so I have lights.
                        Drained the oil and have new stuff on hand after the stator's in.
                        Will post update tomorrow whether I'm good to go or not.

Comment

Don't be afraid to wipe a small amount of gray silicone sealant on either side of the gasket. You can even do it if the gasket tears a little.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

You are buying the 1979 only stator? If not, you need the '80 on rotor too.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              You are buying the 1979 only stator? If not, you need the '80 on rotor too.
                              I wonder if that's it? 18 pole stator with a 12 pole rotor? If the PO swapped in the wrong stator, maybe it hasn't been charging at all. If the PO kept it on a tender, he would never know it isn't charging. The new buyer rides away happy, he wouldn't know it's not charging eiher until the battery went dead. With no headlight he would go quite a distance before finding out it isn't charging.

About to somewhere in North Vancouver I would suspect.

Do you know how to count poles?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                I wonder if that's it? 18 pole stator with a 12 pole rotor? If the PO swapped in the wrong stator, maybe it hasn't been charging at all. If the PO kept it on a tender, he would never know it isn't charging. The new buyer rides away happy, he wouldn't know it's not charging eiher until the battery went dead. With no headlight he would go quite a distance before finding out it isn't charging.

About to somewhere in North Vancouver I would suspect.

Do you know how to count poles?
                                I have met the po and he does not ride very much. He mostly like to restore. Beautiful bikes he has and done nicely. Nut like you say Tom, if he keeps it on a tender and never rides it (which in this case is very likely as he has a lot bikes) it might not have ever been charging.
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X