I now own a GS !! 1981 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
    A bicycle shock pump works pretty good on the forks. I run close to maximum allowed in the manual. I do not have a problem with leak down, and I have a number of these bikes, all running close to 30 psi. I like it that way.
    Yep, we used a hand bike tire pump too. Did not put that much air in though, only did 14 psi. Not sure where I got that at, I'll try 30 psi and see if that rides even better

Comment

Using a tire pump, the pressure drops when you remove it, so you don't know what pressure you have in it. . A shock pump does not do that.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

What a great deal this one was! Looking forward to seeing pics when you figure out the process. Not sure about the Dynabeads in the tires, though- I've heard some negative feedback vs conventional wheel balancing/weights. You must have already had good luck with them I assume.

Comment

Using a tire pump, the pressure drops when you remove it, so you don't know what pressure you have in it. . A shock pump does not do that.
          This is something I have to look into, as my rebuild forks are air type (neither of the UK-spec bikes have air forks). I can easily get a bicycle pump that simply puts-on, takes-off, without the screw-on adapter - I take it the shock pump is like that?
          When running the air shocks on the rear, there was a reasonable quantity in them, so deft touch with an airline was all that was needed.
          Last edited by Grimly; 09-07-2014, 06:55 PM.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman900ss View Post
            What a great deal this one was! Looking forward to seeing pics when you figure out the process. Not sure about the Dynabeads in the tires, though- I've heard some negative feedback vs conventional wheel balancing/weights. You must have already had good luck with them I assume.
            I use to be a motorcycle tech (at H-D shops) and we used a ton of dynabeads & also nitrogen tire fill. Never had an issue, everyone seemed happy with the performance

Comment

Yep, lol, kind of a guessing game fill a little more than pull it off. Might have to try the shock pump

Comment

Working...
              X