Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed up today Hello Everyone! Sexy GS650E inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace items 26 and 27 on the pinion rod. Needs a new bearing and oil seal and you'll be good to go. Around $12 plus shipping.

Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS650E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

BTW, great looking 650E! Mine is a little worse for wear but this winter its going to be getting plenty of love.

Comment

Originally posted by shootmymime View Post
      oh we got a funny guy! lol jerk.

so anyone else? also this question about the forum. how many active people are on it? that post?
      In reality, between 135-150.
      As for the tight clutch rod shaft, try to tap the bottom of the shaft like you were trying to remove it to replace the bearing(s) and top seal.
      There is an indent in the center that you can just get to with a long pointed drift. Perhaps some previous owner installed the top seal a little too tight.
      (I did it once myself and had to do the same.)

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
        Replace items 26 and 27 on the pinion rod. Needs a new bearing and oil seal and you'll be good to go. Around $12 plus shipping.

Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS650E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

BTW, great looking 650E! Mine is a little worse for wear but this winter its going to be getting plenty of love.
        Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
        In reality, between 135-150.
        As for the tight clutch rod shaft, try to tap the bottom of the shaft like you were trying to remove it to replace the bearing(s) and top seal.
        There is an indent in the center that you can just get to with a long pointed drift. Perhaps some previous owner installed the top seal a little too tight.
        (I did it once myself and had to do the same.)
        Thanks guys! Much appreciated! ill probably tear that case back off sometime and take a look at it. i also need to get a clutch lever. the PO locked up the front tire trying to stop and laid it down at slow speed and knocked the ball and a bit of the lever off. i also think a full length lever will help with leverage and create a better moment.

Comment

Hello again everyone.
          I just wanted to have you get a little more personal and up close with my bike to help me with anything you see i could improve on looks, functionality, maintenance in general.

Comment

Nice old bike. I'm still interested in the Rabid Transit fairing and brackets. Its pretty clear that someone loved that bike at one time. Those tires were the stuff, at one time. Marzocci shocks are too stiff and harsh for me, but they have a following, and they are well made. I would consider new tires right away. Those look like old dried out crispy critters. If you like the clubman bars, I would consider rearset foot pegs to round out the riding position.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I agree with Combat those tires are really cracked bad! I wouldn't mind those shocks for my 650g. I would hope you'd try to keep it pretty close to original as the E's aren't real common. Nice color on yours.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Nice old bike. I'm still interested in the Rabid Transit fairing and brackets.
                ''Notice the fairing is gone? i recently sold with the original receipt, paper work, installation instructions, and other sketches and wire diagrams for $350.
                So for $300 I have a great running sexy looking GS650E''

Very nice bike!!!
                Welcome to GSR
                McLoud
                '79 GS850
                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                sigpic
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Hi shootmymime.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice bike. Glad you removed that horible fairing. To me a smaller bike should have a small fairing or none.

Those tire are old and should be replaced. They will cost you half (Or more) the price of the bike but it still is a great score.

Enjoy her (Yes, bikes are girls).
                  Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                    ''Notice the fairing is gone? i recently sold with the original receipt, paper work, installation instructions, and other sketches and wire diagrams for $350.
                    So for $300 I have a great running sexy looking GS650E''

Very nice bike!!!
                    Welcome to GSR
                    I too have been passing over the "sexy" post...glad I stopped this time. I was looking at a new '82 650 in that color when I chose a left over '81 750 instead. It looks very nice.

And...I like the Rabid Transit. Are those Don Vesco handlebars? He sold a couple of styles, one like that IIRC.

I picked up one a few years ago and ran it on a 82 GS750T for a while....

I've since returned the ole girl to stock and put the fairing in the storage unit...

Good luck with the clutch issue. Sorry I can't help.
                    sigpic
                    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Nice old bike. I'm still interested in the Rabid Transit fairing and brackets. Its pretty clear that someone loved that bike at one time. Those tires were the stuff, at one time. Marzocci shocks are too stiff and harsh for me, but they have a following, and they are well made. I would consider new tires right away. Those look like old dried out crispy critters. If you like the clubman bars, I would consider rearset foot pegs to round out the riding position.
                      Like the others have said, i already sold it. The shocks are not that stiff i feel. you can adjust the compression and rebound with valving and nitrogen pressure. its all basic shock info.
                      Yeah ive thought about a new front tire. its needing it. rear looks pretty good.
                      Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                      Hi shootmymime.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice bike. Glad you removed that horible fairing. To me a smaller bike should have a small fairing or none.

Those tire are old and should be replaced. They will cost you half (Or more) the price of the bike but it still is a great score.

Enjoy her (Yes, bikes are girls).
                      Yes i know that fairing had to go. not my style but definitely the best for highway speed riding. I do have a smaller one i have thought about throwing on it but need to find some mounts. Tire is in the thought process of being replaced.
                      Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
                      I too have been passing over the "sexy" post...glad I stopped this time. I was looking at a new '82 650 in that color when I chose a left over '81 750 instead. It looks very nice.

And...I like the Rabid Transit. Are those Don Vesco handlebars? He sold a couple of styles, one like that IIRC.

I picked up one a few years ago and ran it on a 82 GS750T for a while....

I've since returned the ole girl to stock and put the fairing in the storage unit...

Good luck with the clutch issue. Sorry I can't help.
                      I have not clue about the handle bars. i dont have a receipt for them and have not really seen another style.

You bike looks nice too. Oh a 750.

Comment

Oh yeah, those tires are dangerous. Besides the sidewall cracking, the tread rubber will be hard and have very little grip. The rest of it is real nice! Someone may have gone to more competition style clutch springs which you won't be able to adjust out. The only way to tell is to open it up unfortunately. Good Luck! Welcome to the GSR!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                          Oh yeah, those tires are dangerous. Besides the sidewall cracking, the tread rubber will be hard and have very little grip. The rest of it is real nice! Someone may have gone to more competition style clutch springs which you won't be able to adjust out. The only way to tell is to open it up unfortunately. Good Luck! Welcome to the GSR!
                          ok ill start shopping for a front. any recommendations for a cheep one? not planning on keeping the bike very long.

Also i replaced the half broken clutch lever and it works a lot better. having more leverage helps with the pull but it still feels a bit stiff. stiffer than other older bikes ive felt.

Comment

Just thought I'd pop in to see what your bike looks like...nice example of the model in my opinion. Your purchase price? Outstanding!

I notice you are in Idaho...check out recent discussions on the PNW Rally, Sasquatch Editiion thread about the possibility of doing something down your way next year.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by shootmymime View Post
                              ok ill start shopping for a front. any recommendations for a cheep one? not planning on keeping the bike very long.

Also i replaced the half broken clutch lever and it works a lot better. having more leverage helps with the pull but it still feels a bit stiff. stiffer than other older bikes ive felt.
                              Did you get any yet?

I have been using Bridgestone Spitfire II on my 650G and I like them. Durable enough, and handle the wet okay. They don't handle rain grooves all that well, but a little focused attention keeps it under control. Motorcycle Superstore often has them for cheap.

I have Pirelli Sport Demons on the 550es, but haven't put enough miles on them to give a comparison. Also a tire that can be found at deeply discounted pricing.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

If your looking for new tires i just got new ones for my 550l off of motorcycle superstone. The shinkos are cheap but got good ratings. So i went with them. the front ran me about 40 bucks and the back was around 75. Cant beat the price and i love them! I also mounted them myself. Great tires! good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X