X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
      I will run the motor numbers and see what it actually is tonight. Are the "L" forks better than the stock ones? I actually thought of replacing the front pegs with floor boards. It has a fresh tune up, new plugs, and the K&N airfilter will be here Friday. Carbs were rebuilt, the exhaust is immaculate. Where is the best place to buy brake parts. I would like to upgrade them what are popular conversions and where can I get the parts? I found some parts on ebay and such. Another thing I would like is a cruise control, what is a popular one for this bike and some new hand grips mine are cheap plastic/rubber compound. Thanks!-James
      The L forks are not better.

You can find a conversion here that uses common Kawasaki 4 piston calipers and CBR 600 floating discs. search Salty Monk brake conversion. He will sell you the spacers and adapter plates, and redrill the discs for you. You can source the correct master cylinder calipers anywhere. I got some on E Bay. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0monk%20brakes

My favorite grips are Sunline GP grips. They stopped making them, so I have a small horde stashed away.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Are the "L" forks better than the stock ones?
        No, they are not better, just that the geometry is different. The triple clamps for the L forks are straighter across (less triangular), which pulls the fork tubes back a bit toward the rider. Since the axle is in front of the tubes, it actually stays pretty much in the same place. If all that was done was replacing the tubes, the wheelbase will be a bit longer and trail will be reduced. Longer wheelbase will make it turn just a bit slower, but the reduced trail will make it twitchy. Maybe they balance each other out.

If you are interested in correcting that, I have a pair of lower fork tubes that I just took off my 850. Let me verify that they are still in good shape before we make any promises.

I actually thought of replacing the front pegs with floor boards.
        I am in the process of doing that right now with my 850.

Where is the best place to buy brake parts. I would like to upgrade them what are popular conversions and where can I get the parts?
        Unless you want to do "stoppies" with just pinky-pressure, you don't really need to convert anything, just clean up your disks and install some new pads. It is always a good idea to check the condition of the pistons and seals in the calipers, too. Installing stainless brake lines would be a long-overdue upgrade.

Another thing I would like is a cruise control, what is a popular one for this bike and some new hand grips mine are cheap plastic/rubber compound.
        For a "cruise control", I use a Vista Cruise Universal throttle lock. Seems to work the best for me, even though it is not the cheapest. They make another model that sells for about $15 that clamps across the throttle tube and 'anchors' (very loosely) on the throttle cable, but I don't like all the slop in the system. The Universal model sells for $30-35, can get a bit fiddly to install, if you want to do it "right", but the results are worth it. My wife and I both have them on our 850s.

Hand grips are highly personal. If you have larger hands, look for something with a larger diameter to keep your hand from cramping up. My wife's hands are not so large, we found some barrel-shaped foam grips that she likes.

My bike:

Her bike: (photo taken while setting up for plug chops)

Another previous bike: (showing that it doesn't really take much away from your hand position)

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        Front floorboards will be hard to find, but they are out there.
        As mentioned earlier, I am in the process of installing some Markland boards front and rear on my bike. Progress has been slowed down by having to drill out a broken bolt, but I was able to mock them in place and give them a tentative thumbs-up.

Keep in mind that the boards are a bit lower and farther out than the pegs, so you will be scraping boards a LOT sooner than you would the pegs.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        The L forks are not better.
        But they are not any worse, either, when set up with the proper triples. It would be more practical to change the tubes than the triples, because the proper triples will bring the forks back far enough to hit the tank at full lock. Since your forks are probably already begging for service, just take them apart, put on a different set of lower tubes and be done. While you have the forks apart, consider changing the springs. The stock springs were barely adequate when new, and now, 30+ years later, they are shot. Some prefer Progressve-brand springs, others prefer Sonic springs, which are straight-rate.

Let me look at my spare tubes tonight, I will let you know if they are worth claiming.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I am in the process of installing some Markland boards front and rear on my bike. Progress has been slowed down by having to drill out a broken bolt, but I was able to mock them in place and give them a tentative thumbs-up.
          Pics please, once you get them fitted.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Pics please, once you get them fitted.
            Will do.

I am not the kind of guy that posts bits and pieces, saying "hey, looky what I did today".

I have been taking pictures all along, when the bike is done, there will be an "announcement" thread, not a "build" thread.

The rubber on the boards is old and cracked, but surprisingly all there.
            I found some rubber today that I am going to shape into new treads for the boards, if all goes well.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Let me look at my spare tubes tonight, I will let you know if they are worth claiming.
              OK, the tubes have been looked at and have been declared "worth claiming".

I had started sanding on one of them, getting it ready for paint, the other one still has the aged clearcoat on it, but there are no major dings, no broken tabs. They will need new seals, but the Teflon sliders are in good shape.

If you are interested, I will get some pictures for you.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Suzuki recommended a minimum of 8 psi in the forks. If you have stock springs and no air, it will be way to soggy up front. These are actually quite good handling bikes for their time. Heavy but pretty nuetral steering. Stable in turns if it isn't too bumpy. Better than some newer bikes. Way better than other shaft Japanese bikes of its age, like XS11 or XS750/850.

Comment

thanks for all the advice, the bike makes me happy so far, the previous owner changed the fork seals, so I don't know what exactly he did to the inside why he was in there. I'm going to finish this riding season and then the bike is going to get new brakes, adjust valves, polished motor case, new seat, ect. I just put new Pirelli Street demons on and have about 150miles on them so far. Waaayyy better than my flat continentals. Any other recommendations are appreciated. I haven't got the motor numbers yet.

Comment

Test from 1980:

They hardly hated it at all, and neither do I. The stock seat is one of the best ever in motorcycling.

Comment

I got the engine code today it is U701-100661. I also don't plan on changing the seat the previous owner put new foam in it. I just need a new cover as mine is tearing in the seams. I cant wait for my new tires to be sticky about another 100 miles then to the twisties in Arkansas I go.

Comment

Pit Replica makes the best looking stock seat cover replacement. Saddlemen doesn't look anywhere near as good.

Comment

I Thanks for the seat recommendation, my new concern is what size engine I have before I get parts, for it can anyone decipher the Vin I posted earlier for me. From what I have found its either an 1100 or a 1150 I've seen multiple post about the prefix number. I would just like clarification.

Comment

I Thanks for the seat recommendation, my new concern is what size engine I have before I get parts, for it can anyone decipher the Vin I posted earlier for me. From what I have found its either an 1100 or a 1150 I've seen multiple post about the prefix number. I would just like clarification.
                            Rule out the 1150. That is newer, chain drive not shaft, and has a 16 valve head.

The number you posted doesn't appear to be correct, however, This web site was pretty easy to find, and indicates that 1982 t0 1983 shaft drive 1100s had 1 U7 in them towards the front. That looks like what you have. In 1983, they got a better flowing head. 1983 engines had a black head, and crank case.
                            Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-06-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

lets say i am going to buy an exhaust what exactly would i buy it for? the 1100 or the 1000? from what i understand the engines dont have much difference externally vs internally so does the exhaust fit both? thanks again-james

Comment

The crank is larger diameter. The starter clutch does not interchange

I think my 1100G powered 1000G has a 1000G exhaust. You will find a ready market here for your stock exhaust should you wish to sell.

Comment

Working...
                                X