Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a GL model, side covers emblems just have the L, that is the way they are.
    So GS1000GL is what you will look for in parts catalogs (if in fact it is 1000)
    or GS1000GLX, the X being the year code for 1981. (if in fact it is 81)

Aside from the color not looking stock, it doesn't have any of the stripeing. Has been repainted.

The 83 engines that are black are all black. In your photo it appears that the just the cylinders are maybe black, or maybe just discolored by head gasket leak.

Welcome to GSR.

Last edited by Redman; 10-29-2014, 07:29 PM. Reason: add welcome

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

GS1000GL 1981

Overall Length: 2 275 mm (89.6 in)
      Overall Width: 900 mm (35.4 in)
      Overall Height: 1 230 mm (48.4 in)
      Wheelbase: 1 500 mm (59.1 in)
      Ground Clearance: 150 mm (5.9 in)
      Dry Weight: 250 kg (551 lbs)
      Engine type: Air-cooled 997 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 90 ps (66 kW)/ 8.500 rpm, 8,0 kg-m/ 7.500 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
      H

ere's even larger picture.

Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Last edited by Redman; 10-29-2014, 07:39 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by SknirB View Post
        Yes it is my first street legal bike! Just got my licence this summer...will be buying a bigger bike next year but this will be a good bike to tinker with and hopefully have some fun with....if nothing else i can use it to teach my wife how to ride - the price was right haha!
        Well, I was going to suggest starting on a smaller bike, one that's more or less ready to roll. Master that, then sell it and ride the 1000 once it's all fixed up. The 1000 is a pretty big bike, not sure I understand the desire to upgrade before you've even ridden it.

But hey, to each his own, I'm not here to lecture. Welcome and good luck!
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          Well, I was going to suggest starting on a smaller bike, one that's more or less ready to roll. Master that, then sell it and ride the 1000 once it's all fixed up. The 1000 is a pretty big bike, not sure I understand the desire to upgrade before you've even ridden it.

But hey, to each his own, I'm not here to lecture. Welcome and good luck!
          Thanks for the welcome! I have been riding bikes since i was 10yrs old...just not street bikes 😉 The only bike i have drivin on the road has been my little brothers Streetglide...which is twice the size of this one physically..and maybe power wise - i have no idea....going to be a bit of a shock i think once i do get this bike on the road...not going to be anything like the Harley. But im still excited to tinker with it and take it out!

Comment

The power characteristics of yours are going to be markedly different from the Streetglide. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much punch the engine provides (especially at the top end), but you aren't going to have the lugging/chugging torque of the V-twin.

Wow! I just checked the specs on the HD: 1600 cc engine and $25,000!
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              The power characteristics of yours are going to be markedly different from the Streetglide. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much punch the engine provides (especially at the top end), but you aren't going to have the lugging/chugging torque of the V-twin.

Wow! I just checked the specs on the HD: 1600 cc engine and $25,000!
              Well thats good to know - hope i am surprised by this bike lol. And I know right....seen the invoice when he bought it....was more like $33,000...ouch. Real nice bike though!
              IMG_5138.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X