Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-Nation Thread (My 2nd Thread) 3rd Overall (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Fellow T's. So I think I have sourced a 1982 1100 motor and carbs for my potential 1100T. I have followed Spyder's build on his 1100T. My questions to you guys and Spyder:
    Were you able to use your 750 carbs?
    If you used 1100 carbs were you able to use the 750 airbox? If so did you have to change jets?
    Beyond to one obvious engine mount not aligning any other issues to be aware of?

Derek

Comment

I believe the airboxes are the same. I needed one for my spare T since it was missing.

As for the main jets, if you're installing new pipes, I'd go with 117 main jets...that's what I bought for mine.

Not sure about using the 750 carb on 1100. I would say no.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for the info Ed. Going to go with Mikuni BS34s..... I am going to keep the stock exhaust from the 750. So I'm certainly thinking I might need to tweak jets. Temp set up until I save more $. Lol
        I actually enjoy working on these carbs. Dip and new O-rings are a prerequisite

A fellow member on the GSR is helping a brother out on a 1100 runner.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2015, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Spyder..sweet seat on your beauty

Comment

Welp, I haven't checked into this thread in a while, so here goes. Yes you can use the 32mm carbs from the 750 on the 1100 engine (I am right now) It wasn't exactly on purpose but I ordered intake boots for the '83 750 T instead of the 1100, I know, DUH... Anyway they work just fine. Would the 34's work better? Of course, and next spring they should be done and running on my bike...

The air box will work, but you will need the boots from an 1100 box. Other than the bottom mounts not lining up it's a straight bolt in process. It's been er, um, 3 or 4 years since I have done it, and I am NEVER nice to her and that engine doesn't move.

My seat seems to have the same stock shape, so I would say someone did a great job of recovering it. I've had the bike for 8 years now and the seat still looks new... other than all of that, I can't think of any other bumps I hit along my build. I did drop my rear sprocket down a tooth or 2 (can't remember right this minute) think I went from a 42 down to a 40 (41?) and it will still float the front tire through 4th gear. She's a beast.

Good luck with yours, keep us posted...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Thanks for the reply Spyder. I have the 1100 motor home that I bought from Chef here on the GSR. It is an 81 motor and he sold me a nice rack of BS34s and threw in an assortment of other fun stuff. I may hit Ed up on some airbox boots as I think he has a spare airbox from an 1100 with boots intact. I am working on some home projects, but once the snow flies here in Idaho I will start the project. I will keep you in the loop.

Comment

Good morning Derek,

I got your message and replied. I'll have a look at the 1100 Airbox when I get home today...well, maybe not today but some time this weekend. It's a travel day so I've got to get moving.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-22-2015, 12:32 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Derek,

Here's the AirBoxes I have...interesting you remember I had the Boots left on both of them. Anyhow, have a look and see which one is the 1100 and which one is the 750. I'm gonna research the Part Numbers on each. I can see a slight difference in diameter.

Ed
                  Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-24-2015, 03:56 PM.
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thanks Ed! The boots for the 750 are 13881-45450 and the 1100 are 13881-49200. The 1100 boots should be larger to accommodate the larger carbs. There are rings that hold them in....13885-45450 on the 750 and 13885-49200 on the 1100. I have not pulled my airbox out yet, but would trade you boots and rings and pay shipping both ways if you are willing. Another thing I could do is measure the OD of my BS34 carbs and verify the dimensions.....

Derek
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bikemtn View Post
                      Thanks Ed! The boots for the 750 are 13881-45450 and the 1100 are 13881-49200. The 1100 boots should be larger to accommodate the larger carbs. There are rings that hold them in....13885-45450 on the 750 and 13885-49200 on the 1100. I have not pulled my airbox out yet, but would trade you boots and rings and pay shipping both ways if you are willing. Another thing I could do is measure the OD of my BS34 carbs and verify the dimensions.....

Derek
                      The boots on this case assembly (without the chrome side covers) are: 13881-49020. They are right on the side easily visible.

There are rings holding them in...on the 750s they are not solid rings but on the 1100 they seem to be solid rings keeping them in place. How do I go about removing them without damaging the boot? They are still pliable, btw and I don't wanna mess this up.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        The boots on this case assembly (without the chrome side covers) are: 13881-49020. They are right on the side easily visible.

There are rings holding them in...on the 750s they are not solid rings but on the 1100 they seem to be solid rings keeping them in place. How do I go about removing them without damaging the boot? They are still pliable, btw and I don't wanna mess this up.

Ed
                        I have no experience with this. I searched on GSR and during installation on the solid rings it looks like folks use a bit of heat with something like a hair drier and spray or apply a lubricant of some sort to get the rings to move.

Comment

I have no experience with this. I searched on GSR and during installation on the solid rings it looks like folks use a bit of heat with something like a hair drier and spray or apply a lubricant of some sort to get the rings to move.
                          I would imagine it would be OK to soak them in warm/hot water and clean them and then grip them with my thumb/index finger and squeeze them ever so gently and wiggle them out. They are well-wedged in there as I try and squeeze one of the boots right now.

It's like removing/installing the carbs....takes a bit of effort/patience to manipulate without damaging.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Don't spend your whole day on it if it is too hard! I am sure you have better things to do...LOL...like visit friends and family.

Comment

Don't spend your whole day on it if it is too hard! I am sure you have better things to do...LOL...like visit friends and family.
                              I've actually brought my work laptop and doing things I couldn't do at work due to meetings and MX people constantly looking for stuff.

The one luxury, I am still in my pajamas. I'll get to it...

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Wait... Does that mean you are HOME?!? Have you blown the dust off the T yet?
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X