Newbie with GS1100g 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with GS1100g 1982

Hi everyone, I got a gs1100g 1982, My first Suzuki ever. I'm used to Hondas and have no knowledge on Suzuki mechanic. All I know is that they also have a great reputation.
    My bike is still at the dealer so I haven't had a chance to explore it, should have it home in a week or so, can't wait.

I any common problem I should look at on my GS? It has 18 000 kilometers on the odo, which is pretty good.

Thanks all

ho also, I will need a new seat or seat cover, Seems very hard to find....$_20.JPG
    Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM.

The most common issues are gummy carbs, valves out of adjustment, and corroded electrical connectors leading to a destroyed charging system. Basically, maintenance not caught up. Be proactive on getting it caught up, and it'll be pretty much bullet proof.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks Dogma, nothing that seems to hard to handle. I will redo carbs first thing anyway and feel how the PO treated her.

Comment

Loads of info at this link. Looks like your seat may have come from an 1100GL. Maybe the foam from a GL was put on the 1100G seat pan. You got a good bike. I have an 1100g and an 1100GL.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

You mean winter is long in eastern Canada..... I'm going for a ride.......
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
            http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            Loads of info at this link. Looks like your seat may have come from an 1100GL. Maybe the foam from a GL was put on the 1100G seat pan. You got a good bike. I have an 1100g and an 1100GL.
            Could be a GK seat - bike could be a GK.

Comment

GL seat won't fit, at least 82 to 82, dunno otherwise. Looks like a GK seat on a G, at least, it looks like the GK seat I removed from mine. Appears to lack fairing attachment junk on frame and has different peg/exhaust brackets than GK. Lovely bike.

Comment

Welcome! Saddlemens makes good seat covers. You might check them. Doesn't look like my 82 seat. Looks more like my 83 but as has been said maybe a GK seat. The paint is just like my 83. Stick around. This place may help you forget about those Hondas.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

You will like that bike.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919