Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner - GS 850 - Eastern Ontario

10968303_10203717973094492_135338902755411642_n.jpg

Picked up what was advertised and is registered as a 79 850 this past weekend but turns out to be an 80. The pic is trying to untangle tie downs at minus 20 C on Sunday.

I am a many and multiple bike owner since my first - a Honda 160 four speed back in the 60s.

Have rebuilt numerous bikes including the 84 Aspencade that now shares the garage with this one here in Gananoque, Ontario.

Looking forward to cleaning this one up, doing a few changes, and getting it back on the road.

Like all of them, "it was running when it was parked."

Great site here with lots of good information.

Mark

Originally posted by Garagemahal View Post

Like all of them, "it was running when it was parked."

Mark
    Yes sir ... They all were ... Makes me wonder why they were parked...hmmm...?
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Great bike that 850, sure looks like it needs some elbow great but it sounds like you're just the fella for the job. Welcome to the site and looking forward to reading about the progress.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Now you can get rid of that Aspencade....

Comment

Welcome to the site, Mark.
          We are camping at Charleston Lake Provincial Park just a bit north of you this summer. A beautiful area.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            Now you can get rid of that Aspencade....
            Don't do it ! The '84 GL1200 is a fine example of a motorcycle
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Welcome to the site, Mark.
              We are camping at Charleston Lake Provincial Park just a bit north of you this summer. A beautiful area.
              Great riding roads around the lake!

Contact me when you are coming this way if you wish. If you have your bike our riding club usually does one ride each weekend and another in an evening through the week, or maybe you'll get lucky and be here for a club breakfast.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                Don't do it ! The '84 GL1200 is a fine example of a motorcycle
                I've rebuilt an 81 Wing and a 76 Wing. Your statement is correct. It is the smoothest I have ever ridden - and the most complicated to work on.

I'm actually looking forward to working on the 850 and can't wait to tear into it. Nice and simple.

Comment

Welcome aboard!!!
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1975 CB750 Honda
                  1974 CT-90 Honda
                  1966 Yamaha 250 Big Bear scrambler
                  2007 FXSTD Softail Deuce
                  2009 FLHX Street Glide
                  2017 FLHX Street Glide

Comment

Just be sure you go through all the mandatory stuff and the 850 should be good to go. Make sure you post some pics once it's all set and done!!!!
                    Stay warm! It's been brutally cold the last couple of weeks and it's not looking much better for the next 10 days.
                    Good luck and WELCOME to GSR!
                    -Jedz
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      Just be sure you go through all the mandatory stuff and the 850 should be good to go. Make sure you post some pics once it's all set and done!!!!
                      Stay warm! It's been brutally cold the last couple of weeks and it's not looking much better for the next 10 days.
                      Good luck and WELCOME to GSR!
                      -Jedz
                      Thanks for the welcomes.

And the warnings about the cold. I was in the unheated garage today and my wobbly pops were freezing.

I have made my list starting at the front end and working my way back from rebuilding brakes to replacing fork seals to re-wiring, carb cleaning and painting.

All I need is heat, time and dollars.

Nice riding in Vermont. I used to get to Lake George then up and around to Burlington and back across the lake. Haven't been in a few years though but I need to go again soon. My Riley's shirts are wearing thin.

Comment

Working...
                      X