New member and owner, '79 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member and owner, '79 GS550E

Hey everyone, I'm a new member to the forum, just joined after purchasing a '79 GS550E. It's my first bike and I'm really excited to join both the biking and GS communities! The bike has 18K miles on it currently. The past owner said he bought it from an over the road truck driver who stored it indoors and didn't take it out much. The guy I bought it off went completely through the bike and then put about 1.5k miles on it during the couple years he owned it. Now if only it could warm up here so I can take it out...

Here she is!

10387611_10204568073059942_8661339015260343789_n.jpg

Welcome.

Before you go and believe a previous owner, 99.99999% lie to make a sale. You should probably perform a valve check and replace all fluids, no matter what PO said.

Unless you were there, or helped do the work, assume it has not been done. While it is nice and cold, take a little time and go through the electrical system as well. Use the search here, it will be your best friend.

Again, welcome to our little bit of insanity!

Comment

very nice example of that bike needs a wash and polish
      maybe its just the lighting.

Comment

Hi ya, BB.
        Bike looks very nice.
        After you get the bike in A1 running shape i would enlist in an MSF course. You will want to able to enjoy your GS for a long time.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to your new home. Here's a link to a page that will help you with the new baby:

Lots of information there and it will help you do all the stuff that may still need to be done.

2nd the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. In many states it waves the need for a road test and it may also give you a break on insurance rates. Even if it doesn't, its a great way to stay alive. WAY more distracted diving out there from when I started riding back in 1977. Really hate the cellphone/smartphone/tablet era.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'm already signed up for my MSF course, taking it in about a month. In the meantime I'm going to be going through all the standard checks, fluids and whatnot, to make sure I get it in tip top shape before taking it out. I have an operator's manual coming to me in a couple days and will begin work on it then.

Comment

Check out the link I provided and you'll find a ton of manuals, diagrams and How-To's in there.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                1982 GS1100E
                1975 CB750 Honda
                1974 CT-90 Honda
                1966 Yamaha 250 Big Bear scrambler
                2007 FXSTD Softail Deuce
                2009 FLHX Street Glide
                2017 FLHX Street Glide

Comment