Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just joined.

file://localhost/Users/johnpark/Desktop/P1010516.JPG

Finally got around to joining; about time. Not sure about how to post a pic yet, or how anything works yet so bear with me. I'll get there, eventually. I picked up a 1982 GSX400T last summer and got back into riding after a decade's layoff. The previous owner was about 86 years old and was having trouble carrying how oxygen tank aboard, so it was time for him to sell. This is the 4 valve 'twin swirl' model that Canadians and Europe got - for better or worse. I also got a parts bike with most things in good shape so I'm set for a few years of riding.

I've owned 400s [425] in the past and also GS 750 and 850G. I also used to have a GT750 and a T250 from '72. I sold all my collection off about 15 years ago - no regrets, although the lot would be worth multiples by now. Someone else got the pleasure of appreciating them while they appreciated.
    '82 GS450T

Hi,

There are a couple of ways to get pictures into the forum. You can "attach" a picture to a post but it must be the proper file size. Or you can link to a picture from an online source like Photobucket or Google Photos. There is a "how to" guide on my website. It needs to be updated to reflect the new forum software but it should give you an idea of the process. Otherwise, click the link in my signature file and you'll find lots of GS information that I've collected. Welcome.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Figured it out

Here's the bike, although I've done a bit of tidy work since this pic. Somebody put 850G bars on it, which didn't have the right sweep; found the original bars. Those are 850 shocks which work great on 400s as long as you set everything full soft and don't mind a firm ride. The bike has 55,000 kilometres on it or about 35k miles. It runs like new.

Much as I have an emotional feeling about the original roller bearing model, I have to admit that they did make a lot of improvements.
      Attached Files
      '82 GS450T

Comment

Looks nice! Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Nice looking bike.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Another "T".

Welcome John, that's a nice-looking "T". If you want to, post it up on this thread:

That's cool you have a parts bike for it. I've got the same thing going for my "T".

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Oooh, that is a beautiful example of the model. That will be a fun ride up in your part of our province.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Location and where/how you ride makes a major difference in what bike you might consider 'right' to own. I'm not into owning a bunch of different bikes - thats what they all say until the stable fills up - and a 400 is about right for the roads around here that are fun to ride on. It's all twisty mountain backroads with funky pavement and what's 'civilized' is full of traffic and a 90kph slog - with great scenery but a CBR125 would work.

I'll admit to enjoying an old spoke wheel GS750 on these roads, but the 400s allow you to wail the snot out of the motor without getting too crazy, and I enjoy that, plus it's lighter. Maybe it takes me back to flogging the daylights out of old 40hp Volkswagens when I was a teenager. In the 80s I got an almost new GS425 and flogged it pretty hard for about another 50k when it got a bit tired. It's still running, just.

These bikes will go forever at 6000 rpm, which is essentially vibrationless with the balance shaft, and I have run Baja in February at a steady 6500-8000 all day with bags. But the heat gets critical at some point and that's what does in the rings and cam followers. Im considering getting one of those dipstick oil temp gauges because it gets major hot up here in July. Anybody have any experience with them to share?
                '82 GS450T

Comment

How about an aftermarket oil cooler?

Comment

Great looking bike. Would love one of those 400t's. Welcome to the site, everything and anything in here.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                    X