Not a GS but kind of neat looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a GS but kind of neat looking

I saw one of these the other day and thought it was kind of interesting for a new bike.

Attached Files

....and its granddaddy.....with the added joy of 2 stroke noises and smells
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Suzuki should make a road/sports version of the DR650.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Looks very 80s to me, made me think of the Kawasaki Z200.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Suzuki has been selling these for a while, my local MSF class has a couple. I assume they're aimed at entry-level riders. Shame it's the only standard UJM they offer!
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Our Suzuki shop tends to favor the big Boulevard Cruisers. The MSF course here uses the Rebel 250s.

I'm tempted to stop in at the shop and see if they have one. I'm small & light enough that it probably would be pretty nimble. I'm also curious how a modern UJM compares against my 450.

Comment

What about a GS 500?
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

A UJM has an I4 engine folks.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  What about a GS 500?
                  I've never seen a 500 in the wild, only in pictures.

Comment

GS 500s are a long running bike mid 80s or so to present?
                    Friend got one after getting bitten my the moto bug about aged 45
                    most old guys buy harleys as a mid life crisis soother
                    he got a paralell twin new off the showroom floor a leftover cos hes frugal
                    kept it for three years then sold it for a song to get a 650 Ninja
                    That little thumper sure is pretty I cant imagine what horrid buzziness is emitted from that engine.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                      Suzuki has been selling these for a while, my local MSF class has a couple. I assume they're aimed at entry-level riders. Shame it's the only standard UJM they offer!
                      Agreed, where are the standards?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        This was my understanding too.

But is it possible the term is evolving to mean Japanese standard?

As an analogy the term Muscle car was a specific term for an intermediate body with a big block motor. There were also pony cars and fast big cars. Now just about any V8 coupe is called a muscle car.

Not sure the term UJM is changing, but this is the second thread I've seen the term used on non-inline four bikes.

Comment

I've never heard that one before.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

GS 500s are a long running bike mid 80s or so to present?
                            Friend got one after getting bitten my the moto bug about aged 45
                            most old guys buy harleys as a mid life crisis soother
                            he got a paralell twin new off the showroom floor a leftover cos hes frugal
                            kept it for three years then sold it for a song to get a 650 Ninja
                            That little thumper sure is pretty I cant imagine what horrid buzziness is emitted from that engine.
                            I have a good friend that rides a TU250. It is nicely put together, looks great, and the engine is well balanced and NOT buzzy. Vibration levels are less than a GS750, which is a pretty smooth bike. My only complaint about it is power, but I'm used to my B12 and it isn't fair to compare it to that in acceleration. LOL Top end is about 75 mph, but for continuious cruise, I wouldn't want to keep it over about 60 as I don't like to keep an engine wound that tight for extended periods. It's a great little nimble around town and back roads bike or any place speeds will mostly be no more than 60-65 mph.

I think if Suzuki would make that bike, but with the GS500 engine in it, they would really have a seller.
                            Last edited by earlfor; 05-22-2015, 12:54 PM.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                            X