New from Columbus OH - GS1100L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from Columbus OH - GS1100L

Sooo..this isn't my first bike but is my first Suzuki. I have read the 10 things to never do and a few of the other intro threads and I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying this 1100L. There seems to be some issues with the "L" model based on comments I've seen, more info would be appreciated. Here is the only pic I have handy...

It runs fairly well but has a lot of jenky pieces on it. The seat is uncomfortable for my fat ass as well.

My plan was to build a bobber. Black out as much as possible, expose the rear tire, solo seat, tank and fenders OD green, etc. I've wanted a bobber type bike for 15 years, well before they became "cool".

I had 3 criteria for buying a bike:

Big engine - I'm 400lbs, so small bikes would look horrible. Heck, this one looks small under me.
    Cheap - As in under $1500 (bike cost me $1200)
    Needed to be road ready - This one needs a rear tire but other than that it doesn't leak, runs and idles smoothly, etc. I know that doesn't mean its fine, but at least it goes.

All my previous bikes were more modern fuel injected bikes (except for a brief love affair with a CB750).

I also don't have much mechanical knowledge but I've wrenched on Jeeps alot and learned my fair share. I can also follow directions and youtube videos like a boss. I have never fabbed anything and don't have the tools to do so.

Known issues
    OEM Petcock is bad. PO installed a fuel shutoff valve
    Needs a rear tire
    Fork seals leak
    Homemade welded on highway pegs
    Handlebars seem a bit off. Will be installing drag bars

So....what say you? Should I keep this or sell it and move to a Yamaha or Honda where aftermarket (read: bolt on) products are more plentiful for a noob like myself.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2015, 12:41 PM. Reason: Added info.....

You have actually made a couple of fine choices there.

The bike is great. Anything negative you have seen is strictly "L"-related, and that is mostly about the ergonomics of the stepped seat and the high-rise, pull-back bars. You already said you are going to change the bars, and the "bobber" you want to make will likely have a different seat, so those items will be taken care of in due time.

The only other 'issue' with that bike would be the splines in the rear hub. You need to remove the rear wheel to inspect them, but you need a tire anyway, so be sure to check them. If the splines are a gold-ish color, they are the softer ones that tend to wear. They appeared in the '82 and some '83 bikes, you did not say which year yours was. Older splines (in case somebody already replaced them) were black, newer ones are silver. Either one is preferred over the gold ones. Whatever color your splines, be sure to lube them with Honda Moly 60 paste when reassembling.

Your other issues are easily fixed. Petcock: get a new OEM unit. Fork seals: relatively easy to change. Other items to check would be valve adjustment and carb sync. Both rather easy, but require somewhat "special" tools. If you want to ride about an hour and a half west some weekend, I would be happy to help you learn to work on your bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, thanks for the info! And I agree, the ergonomics on the bike are far from ideal. I may very well take you up on your offer of assistance. At this point a ride in SW Ohio sounds like a helluva fun day.

As for the work, I see OEM style petcocks on ebay for ~$50. That a safe avenue to use?

Also, my bike is an '82. I will be having Iron Pony do the rear tire so I'll ask them to check the splines for me.

Comment

L's don't really have any more issues than E's, T's or any other GS model. People just don't tend to like them as much these days. It's hard to tell for sure in the pic but the tank and handlebars don't look they are L's. It does look like it's in really nice condition.

Comment

From what I've read and experienced, it's hard to make them it to "cafe" bikes. But I've seen some bobers that look great!

Comment

Originally posted by cyberpvnk View Post
            As for the work, I see OEM style petcocks on ebay for ~$50. That a safe avenue to use?
            You don't want "OEM style", you want "OEM". Might cost a bit more, take a look at Parts Outlaw for prices. Contact me before you order, though.

Originally posted by cyberpvnk View Post
            Also, my bike is an '82. I will be having Iron Pony do the rear tire so I'll ask them to check the splines for me.
            Iron Pony is a GREAT place to buy stuff, but the only service-related story I have heard from them was not all that pleasant.
            Before firing up the bike to leave, check EVERYTHING they might have touched to make sure it is back in place and properly tightened down. There are too many horror stories on the interwebs about loose axle nuts and other various (IMPORTANT) parts that were left off or simply left loose. If you don't know what all you need to check, just arrange to have the tire shipped to my place (or bring it yourself), we can change it here.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GS1100GL

GS1100G

Basic engine and drive train is the same.
              Sterring geometry is a bit different.
              So any concern about the L is related to the riding position: the stepped seat (like you mentioned) and pull back bars, and smaller gas tank.
              But you seem to have a G tank.

Pictured GL is an 83 so has the black engine, as would any other model 83.

Last edited by Redman; 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yeah I thought that looked weird, I thought the L has a tear drop tank.
                Looks like his tanks from a G

Comment

Originally posted by G-3 View Post
                  Yeah I thought that looked weird, I thought the L has a tear drop tank.
                  Looks like his tanks from a G
                  I checked the title, definitely an L.

Finally bought some parts for it on Sunday

Drag bars
                  Kuryakyn grips
                  OEM Suzuki petcock
                  bar end mirrors
                  license plate relo bracket
                  Bell helmet

Comment

Working...
                  X