Back on the road after nearly 20yrs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on the road after nearly 20yrs.

In 1979 Dad bought this Gs750L new for a local dealer. He put about 19K on it before selling it in 1996. The guy that bought it put 800 miles in two years before getting divorced and parking it. The bike eventually made its way out side where it never moved from. Last year dad passed away. I decided I wanted that bike back. In March of this year the guy told me he would give it to me so out of the weeds she came and total tare-down occurred. Motor, carbs, breaks, if it moved its was locked up.

Two mths later she is back on the road and running good. (Thanks to the people on this form).

I wanted near original except the paint which was dad's favorite color.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2015, 07:36 PM.

Looking good. Always feels good to resurrect a bike that was all but set for the junkyard. Nice resto work.

Comment

That is what this forum is all about. Your bike has a great story to it. I hope that you ride it with great joy for many years!

Comment

Cool, a bike with family history. Nice job on getting it back and restoring it. Quick work also...

A guy nearby still has the Triumph my father and uncle used to ride in the early 60s....
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

"Back on the road after nearly 20yrs."

What about you? Were you riding those 20 years?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Na just turned 30 dad sold the bike so me and my brother "wouldn't get hurt" when we were in our teens.

Comment

I love a bike with history. Good job on the resto.

Comment

Fast job on the resto. Mine sat for 20 years and it took all of 2 summers to redo, evenings and weekends. Yours looks good though. Happy riding!

Comment

Take an MSF course!

Great story, cool bike. That is the reason I have a 1940 Packard 120 in my garage. My father died two years ago and I am (slowly) undertaking its restoration to roadworthiness.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Took the corse back in April put just under 1k miles on her so far.

Comment

Good deal!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah, I'm coming off a 24-year hiatus from motorcycles myself. Even during the depths of winter, just seeing her in the garage, knowing she'll start instantly with the flip of a switch gives me great joy.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                        X