79 gs750 in Ontario canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs750 in Ontario canada.

Ok boys and girls, I have been a member of this forum for a while now. I've been reading for months, and sold multiple items in the classified section, but this will be my first real post about my bike. I apologize up front for the lack of eye candy, my build has been slow, and my space is very tight ( just like cash) so it's hard to get the right angle for pics in my workspace.
    I will start with a description of the bike and a list of my mods, then I'll ask for the advice I need. I own a 79 gs750. I've had it almost a year now, and the build is coming to a close. I bought the bike as a somewhat incomplete project. To be honest, what it really was is a badass motor wrapped in crap. Tge motor was bored out to 79mm with the wiseco 844 10:1 kit. It has had extensive porting work done to the head, as well as Andrews S2 cams. The old guy who built it had a little over $2000 into the machining and parts. I drove an hour and a half to be the first one to see it after it was listed. The motor work was legit with paperwork to prove, are started right up, and ran strong. I handed the guy $600 ( Canadian dollars, about $480usd) and loaded it on to my trailer. When I got her home she went straight on to the bench, where she has been for the last 11 1/2 months.
    When I said earlier that what I bought was a badass motor wrapped in crap, I meant it. Let me explain. Every other component on this bike, was either not working or had been removed all together. The bike was running, but with the barest minimum of wiring ( I think it was a 4 or 5 wire system) no lighting except the headlight, no rear brake, and even though it had dual calliper forks it was running a mismatched single front brake. The front forks leaked so bad that they formed puddles on the bench, the rear shocks had been replaced with homemade flat bar struts, the tank had 10lbs of bondo on it, the frame had been hacked up at the rear and it had no seat. I'm sure I forgetting something, but you get the picture. Now I should tell you that I love a challenge, so this was right up my alley. I have spent the better part of the last year creating this beast. Every part of this bike has been rebuilt. Every nut and bolt polished, there is no part of the old bike left, except for the motor, which had been thoroughly checked over, and redone. It has cost the lives of four other gs750s, but their souls will live on in my bike as well as others lol. Here I sit a year later, with a pretty badass bike, and I'm pretty sure that my total investment if you take into account the 4 bikes that I parted out ( kept some parts, sold others) is less than $0, and I have enough parts left to build my next bike. Here is a list of what she has now...
    79 gs750
    Vin gs750E-31104
    Motor bored to 79mm
    Wiseco 79mm 10.25:1 844 cc pistons
    Andrews S2 cams
    Ported head
    Dyna electronic ignition
    CIR cycle coils with accel plug wires
    81 Gs1100 fuel tank
    81 Gs1100 rear swing arm
    81 Gs1100 rear brake
    82 Gs850 front brakes
    05 Gs500 handlebar controls
    05 gs500 front master cylinder
    Dime city gauges
    Custom top triple clamp
    Shaved and Polished rear calliper and hanger
    Progressive series 12 rear shocks with 95/140 spring ratio
    Rebuilt front forks
    Rebuilt rear master cylinder
    Complete new wiring front to back
    Upgraded front fender
    Polished front brake line splitter
    Polished rear taillight switch
    (I like the bit of shine on the black paint)

overall the the bike is done. She is ready to go with the exception of two things.
    i need to find the right cafe style seat to go with the overall look. The rear shocks are a little taller to than stock height to give it more of a cafe look, and the 1100 tank enhances the look further, but the width of the frame has proven to be an issue. I don't want to just toss any old seat pan on to it and ruin the look.

the second and more pressing issue is the carbs. I currently have the stock 26mm mikunis vm carbs. I know that I could get more bang for my buck with better carbs, but there are so many opinions in the forums that it can sometimes get confusing. I know that the head and cams can handle
    more flow than these carbs are creating. They have been jetted for stacks, but I would prefer to run K&N pods. The stock air box isn't an option due to the frame mods. What do you guys think? Should I switch to a larger bore cv carbs or should I go with something else? I know some people have switched to the ninja carbs as well.

I appologize for for the long winded post, and lack of pictures but help would be appreciated. This is the best pic I have of the bike right now. I was in the process of cleaning the garage so sorry for the mess, but it's better than nothing.

Attached Files

The sign say no parking and you clearly parked there anyway.
    Scofflaw!

Comment

Working...
    X