Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike: '81 GS650GL

Hey guys,

Bought my first bike, a 1981 GS650GL with about 16k on it. I like the bike's style but there is definitely room for ergonomic improvement. I bought it before I had my license and my dad said it rode well. Got it off the trailer at home and it has had trouble running since:

1) Does not run off choke
    2) Some fuel comes out of the airbox after a ride
    3) Strong vibration in higher range

Of course I am not riding it in this condition. It has a new petcock and I am currently working on removing the discomfort from the bike. I have replaced handlebars, backrest with original pillion handle, and fixed some of the wiring. I am also looking for how to improve the seat to give myself some room to move without completely customizing both foam and cover, but it is not a priority.

I plan to bring the bike in to a shop close by because I want to know the bike is running right. I don't want to rely on my limited knowledge if I were to take this bike any distance.

I've also considered tuning for an aftermarket 4-1 or 4-2 for better sound, but from what I've heard here stock is the way to go.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate your interest and I look forward to any advice or suggestions you have to offer (other than the GL criticisms I've seen).

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2015, 09:23 PM.

Unless you are made of money, stay away from the shop.

If you have space to work on it, then I'm sure you can find the skills necessary to do the required work. The big benefit is that you'll know your bike intimately, know when there is a change, and how to fix it without lining someone else's pocketbook.

I have an aftermarket 4 into 1 on my 650G, and the thing sounds great full open, but to be honest, I'd still love to have a whisper-quiet 4 into 2 for the majority of my riding.

All of points 1 to 3 can be addressed by fixing what is wrong with the carburetion. Cleaning and adjustment of the floats will probably fix #s 1 and 2, and a carburetor synchronization may go a long ways to solving #3.

If that doesn't do it, then you'll have to dig deeper into what is causing the vibration. The strength and feel of it, and the rpm at which it occurs are going to give some clues as to the cause.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hello!

Focus on getting that thing running right before you go all crazy with the creature comforts.

And for crying out loud, do NOT take your bike to a shop. That way lies madness, despair, and an empty wallet. Half the fun of owning a vintage bike is learning how to work on it yourself. It's not hard and we have everything you need to make it run beautifully. Click the link in my signature below to BassCliff's Mega-Welcome. It will lead you to tutorials, charts, advice, and electronic copies of Suzuki's service manuals.

The not running off choke symptom is a classic case of gunked up carburetors. The first thing you want to do is clean them. Find the CV carb cleaning tutorial (from the collection of info pointed to by the mega-welcome) and get to work. It's not hard and we're always here to help. After that, you'll have to check/adjust the valves, seal the airbox, change all the various oils, and probably rebuild the brakes. Then once it's running right you can worry about the seat and handlebars.

Do you have pics of your trusty steed? We like pics.

Welcome!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thank you both for the feedback!

When I was able to ride the bike I found that the brakes worked well actually. Part of the reason I was interested in this model was the discs front and rear. The front brake was surprisingly nice and grabby the first time I rode it. I will probably take a look at the master and change the fluid and perhaps the lines just to be safe.

I do want to get the bike up and running as quickly as I can this season, which is why I have considered getting a shop involved. I also bought the bike under budget, expecting to put some money into it. However, you are certainly correct stating that doing the work myself will help me get comfortable with the bike, even if it takes me more time.

Yes, I am hesitant to dive in and will have to acquire or build a few more tools to get the jobs done, but your votes of confidence suggest that I have the ability and resources to learn. I'll take a shot!

+Handlebars: The handlebars were something I couldn't stand off the bat with how much they hurt my wrists. U-turns made me punch myself in the chest. I got some for free and it didn't take long to drill the necessary holes and swap them in.

++I tried attaching a photo to the first post but I guess it didn't work the first time. Hope it works this time. These are the pictures I have from when I just got the bike home. Looks cleaner than it is but I'm not complaining!
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X