No announcement yet.

Left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, this week I posted a 78 1000 that was for sale locally with a leaky tank. It quicky turned into a urinating match between the two, at which point I deleted the thread. Regarding repair or replace, i can respect either course of action. My only concern would be honesty when said machine is sold.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Chuck, I have no problems with you or Tornado, nor do I think you would misrepresent a bike. No need to aapologize, but thanks. You both seem to be very passionate about your resto methods. Your GSs in the PS articles looked great. Personally, im a bucks down person, so I always try to save items before deeming them as unuseable.

Regarding the bike i posted, i figured it was just just a throwaway thread so i deleted it. No harm no foul.....

Ill stop junking up Busas thread now....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Well, this photo should show the difference between good and rough...
        I bought the bike dirt cheep as a parts bike originally, so the condition of the tank did not matter.
        After I looked the bike over real good, I realized it was too good tear apart as parts for my other GS.
        Which lead to the tank being deemed by me, as too far gone for my personal tastes.
        The tank has 54 visible pin holes top and bottom, more than I wanted to try and deal with myself.
        I waited and searched for a better one, knowing the rest of the bike will not be complete till next spring anyway.
        I found a beautiful tank at a fair price (I'm not rich, but I have a good grasp on what parts are worth)....and bought it.
        This $350 parts bike will probably cost me close to $3000 (not including the hours going through the entire bike myself) before I'm done. Will it be worth that to anyone else....???
        It really doesn't matter, because it won't be for sale, It's what I have had in my mind as the perfect cruiser to combat the Harley infested world I live in.
        Plus my girlfriend will be happy she doesn't have to ride on the back of my Hayabusa anymore.

And there is no such thing as owning too many Suzuki's.....................

Attached Files
        Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2015, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Hopefully we are past the personal differences of restoration, as everyone has their own skill or financial qualities.
          We all like Suzuki's and try to keep them alive in one form or another....which is the point in my mind.

The engine has cleaned up pretty good, and been checked inside and out....looking spotless everywhere I looked.
          All new gaskets EVERYWHERE I pulled parts off, valves checked, clutch plates in excellent condition, transmission dogs looked new,
          excellent compression, and now all shined up for another 35+ years of use.

IMG_5686.jpg

Still need to get the complete Dyna ignition system for it, and not sure if the exhaust is going to polish out good enough in my opinion to use.
          So until I decide the exhaust (stock, or header), I will let the carbs sit for a bit (either just a rebuild, with stock airbox, or Dynojet stage III kit with K+N filters)

I really want to go stock, as I have enough bikes with headers, and would like something quiet and relaxing to putt around on.

Comment

I would like paint scans of that blue if a supply house near you could scan it. Ive been looking for a scanned mix code as that the color I want to do my second 78 1000C in. I have the maroon and orange bike already.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll probably have to do that anyway, as I am thinking I will leave the tank exactly like it is...but will need to paint the tail/seat to match.
              I work in the paint shop that paints these everyday......
              Explore the 2024 King Aire motor coach gallery of interior and exterior photos, including cabin, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and cabinetry photos.

IMG_5162.jpg
              ...........so I have connections
              Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2015, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                Hopefully we are past the personal differences of restoration, as everyone has their own skill or financial qualities.
                We all like Suzuki's and try to keep them alive in one form or another....which is the point in my mind.

The engine has cleaned up pretty good, and been checked inside and out....looking spotless everywhere I looked.
                All new gaskets EVERYWHERE I pulled parts off, valves checked, clutch plates in excellent condition, transmission dogs looked new,
                excellent compression, and now all shined up for another 35+ years of use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42480[/ATTACH]

Still need to get the complete Dyna ignition system for it, and not sure if the exhaust is going to polish out good enough in my opinion to use.
                So until I decide the exhaust (stock, or header), I will let the carbs sit for a bit (either just a rebuild, with stock airbox, or Dynojet stage III kit with K+N filters)

I really want to go stock, as I have enough bikes with headers, and would like something quiet and relaxing to putt around on.
                Hey man, personally apologize for what has happened to YOUR build thread. I am truly sorry that you were very excited to share YOUR experience with building YOUR motorcycle for YOU and wanted to share. I appreciate you sharing with us YOUR build and I wish you all the best. Sincerely do.

If anyone was wondering, what has happened to this thread is exactly why I did not do a build thread on my bike and is the reason I do not share anymore. I think both of you owe busa1300 an apology

Comment

As long as they were not attacking me, it's OK
                  I'm thinking it probably would be a good idea if this could all be moved to a build thread though....didn't really think about it when I started this.

Comment

Cleaned up my stock exhaust.
                    Doesn't look as good as I was hoping....a header might be my only option.
                    What was originally going to be a quick fix....has started to get out of hand.

IMG_5699.jpg

Comment

I've seen worse. A lot worse. But know how you feel. No one else will hardly notice... but you know it's not exactly right. Enjoying following along on your build. Good luck!
                      '80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Another piece to the puzzle....I'm not sure which GS I'm putting it on yet though....

IMG_5718.JPG

Comment

An alternative thought on what to do with the GS....

Comment

Me likey....
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

'86 GSXR front end and wheels?
                              How do you get any work done in that shop?
                              I would be too distracted by all the scenery.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yea, 86 GSXR 1100 wheels and rotors, with GSXR 750 forks...all a direct bolt in, if I were to go that route.
                                But I will keep the wire wheels on this one I think, that way the style will never get outdated. Plus I only have one other bike with wires wheels...(GT750)
                                Garage...
                                I don't get nearly as much done as I should be... Too many projects, and no short term memory gets me sidetracked daily...

Comment

Working...
                                X