X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just snagged up my 2nd '83 suzuki!

Howdy!
    Newer lady rider here
    I've made a few posts on the forum and have used this site endlessly for the wealth of knowledge it holds (thank you, oh wise ones!)

My 1983 gs550L has been an on-going/endless battle, its been an entire year of sourcing parts (usually waiting weeks/months for them to arrive in the mail) and having parts dealerships laugh at me saying "I dont think anyone in the world owns the bike you have, are you sure its really a GS550L???"....Ive even went to to bike salvage yards that have 1000's of bikes and usually only find ONE gs-L, if any!!!! (I had NO idea how rare the gs550L really is until after I bought it!)

SO seeing as riding season is half way over here in Canada I decided to purchase this '83 GR650! (attached a photo, hopefully it works!)
    Runs great, came with a tank of gas, fresh oil change & filter and with a safety certificate too! I'm pretty excited about this purchase as the bike felt great and I love the look of it too!

Does anyone know if there are interchangeable parts between the GR650 and the GS550L? The GS will be back together & running any day now (rebuilt engine, carbs, electrosport R/R, new starter & battery...basically swapped everything for new parts except the sprockets) but after the years struggle with it I fully expect it to leave me stranded and if that happens I'd like to try and keep whatever parts from the GS and use on the GR if possible? I've noticed they have a lot in common but then they are different in many ways too.....I feel too attached to the GS-L to actually sell it, but i guess time will tell!
    Attached Files

You went from rare to even rarer.

Comment

If you have fixed everything a GS is as reliable as any bike made. 32 years of neglect is a lot. Now that you have a rider, you don't have to hurry on the 550. Take your time, finish it all up..... or not.
      After riding it a bit you will probably enjoy the 650. It's got a torquier engine than the 550, probably a lighter bike with better handling as well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Also known as a Tempter. A decent, dependable bike. Not as smooth as a 550, or any other inline four. I have ridden one many times, and liked it well enough. What matters is if YOU like it.

Comment

Originally posted by castheandra View Post
          Howdy!
          Newer lady rider here
          I've made a few posts on the forum and have used this site endlessly for the wealth of knowledge it holds (thank you, oh wise ones!)

My 1983 gs550L has been an on-going/endless battle, its been an entire year of sourcing parts (usually waiting weeks/months for them to arrive in the mail) and having parts dealerships laugh at me saying "I dont think anyone in the world owns the bike you have, are you sure its really a GS550L???"....Ive even went to to bike salvage yards that have 1000's of bikes and usually only find ONE gs-L, if any!!!! (I had NO idea how rare the gs550L really is until after I bought it!)

SO seeing as riding season is half way over here in Canada I decided to purchase this '83 GR650! (attached a photo, hopefully it works!)
          Runs great, came with a tank of gas, fresh oil change & filter and with a safety certificate too! I'm pretty excited about this purchase as the bike felt great and I love the look of it too!

Does anyone know if there are interchangeable parts between the GR650 and the GS550L? The GS will be back together & running any day now (rebuilt engine, carbs, electrosport R/R, new starter & battery...basically swapped everything for new parts except the sprockets) but after the years struggle with it I fully expect it to leave me stranded and if that happens I'd like to try and keep whatever parts from the GS and use on the GR if possible? I've noticed they have a lot in common but then they are different in many ways too.....I feel too attached to the GS-L to actually sell it, but i guess time will tell!
          Sorry to tell you, but the only parts that may interchange are the parts you say you didn't get new, wheels, sprockets and chain, ect..... The GR650 Tempter is a twin cylinder bike and your 550 is a 4 cylinder bike.

My question is why do you think the 550 will leave you stranded? If you take care of the routine maintenance it should be good for another 30 years.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I just checked, the horsepower went from the 550's 49 to only 50, but the torque goes up from 42nm to 61nm. Huge change. Fuel economy goes up around 40% too. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              If you have fixed everything a GS is as reliable as any bike made. 32 years of neglect is a lot. Now that you have a rider, you don't have to hurry on the 550. Take your time, finish it all up..... or not.
              After riding it a bit you will probably enjoy the 650. It's got a torquier engine than the 550, probably a lighter bike with better handling as well.
              Dont have the graphs but all suzuki cycles websites shows the 550 has more torque and HP than the 650.

Comment

Hp on the 550 is 64 vs 62 for the 650
                4.8 KG/m @ 8000 rpm for the 650
                5.0 KG/m @ 8000 rpm for the 550

Comment

The numbers I looked up were different, but the two valve 550 is 49hp.

Comment

Yeah its odd I see a lot of thos for sale as 83s too. It would seem that at least in Canada they had two models of 550 L sold as 83s.

Comment

Did the 550 Ls stay with the two valve engines or did they use the new one?

Comment

Nice looking bike and welcome to the Forum. Whereabouts in Canada are you? Have you tried Z1 Enterprises for parts. I have ordered from them several times and parts are usually here within a week. No duties or taxes either. They have a way of getting them across the border that is pretty slick. The lading bill says old motorcycle parts. Works every time.

Comment

they changed form 2 to 4 valves and stayed that way till the class was morphed into the 600 katana and the gr got turned into a gs 500 more or less.

Comment

I think the difference is that maximum torque comes in on the GR low down at around 3k. Makes it easy and fun to ride.

Comment

hmm does anyone have the graphs?

Comment

Working...
                              X