Newbie with a GS1000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with a GS1000s

Hi to all, Just introducing myself to the Forum.
    I have recently bought a GS1000s with a few issues, which I am hoping to work through.
    I have always been a standard bike person, having to have everything just as it came out of the factory, but I saw this one on Ebay and I fell in love with it.
    I am sure some people may turn there nose up at it, but it makes me smile.
    I thought that I would join the Forum as I am sure I will have some questions.
    If there are any members in the south east of England with a GS1000s I would love to meet up, so get in touch.
    gs1000s 002.jpg

Regards Clive

Hey Clive,

Welcome to the site. That is a great looking S you have there. Your bike looks very similar to another members S "NVR2OLD" is his screen name.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Clive.
      Nobody here is going to turn up their nose at that beauty.
      Always liked the look of the stubby Harris exhaust.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Wow! That's a beauty of a bike. Welcome and enjoy your way around here.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the GSR Clive, there are quite a few members here with GS1000S's and all the knowledge you will need to get your bike sorted if there aren't any local to you.

Can you give me some background on your bike and what your history is with this model, if any?

BTW your bike looks great in the pictures, what are the issues with it?

I currently maintain a register of all known GS1000S's and would love to have your details to add to the list, frame number (VIN) and engine number if you could post them here or send them via a PM to me, it would be much appreciated.

I should be able to give you some more details about your bike once you send me that info.

Can you also check the rear wheel, is that a 17 or 18" tire?

More pictures would be nice.

Cheers,

David
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the kind words from those who have replied.

Hi David,
            All I know about the bike is that it came in from Holland or Belguim (that bit didn't quite log in) The guy I got the bike from got it registered in the UK and then put it up for sale.
            When I went and looked at the bike the starter was siezed, so it had to be bump started. It was a quiet engine But the carbs needed balancing.
            I trailered the bike home. I got and fitted another starter motor, but upon starting the bike I was getting quite a lot of rattling from the rotor side. I took the rotor off and found the three bolts that hold the starter clutch on were loose. I have locktighted them back in, put it all back together and restarted it. Exactly the same noise, so I am now looking at buying a complete new starter clutch in the hope of sorting the problem out.

Being able to start the bike has ment I have been able to balance the carbs, which I have done today. While it was running my son went round the engine with a stethascope and said the noise was all coming from the starter clutch side.
            The noise dissapears at about 1800 rpm and the bike sounds very nice. The stand flicks up as soon as you take the weight off of it and this concerns me a bit, I am not sur if this is supposed to happen.
            Some of the gauges do not work at the moment and I think I wouls like to fit some indicators.
            My frame mumber is GS1000-522779
            Engine number GS1000-144855
            My log book states decleared manufactured 1980
            The bike has an 18 inch rear wheel.WP_000178.jpg

I seem to be having trouble posting more pictures.
            Regards Clive

Comment

The other side. That all I have at the moment.
              Regards Clive
              WP_000180.jpg

Comment

What a beautiful Liter Bike! Thanks for sharing...all the way from En-ga-land!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hi Clive and welcome. I'm a little to the west of you in Hampshire but you have Chris (user name Tatu) over in Kent with a a very pretty modded S. There's a few other Kent members on here as well. You'll have to sell a kidney if you need any of the unique S parts but fortunately the bike shares most of its components with the other GS1000s and other models in the GS / GSX range.

Are you sure about where that noise is coming from? The starter clutches on these bikes are pretty good though do sometimes rattle - they make a distinctive clacking noise usually when there's an issue. Far more common is a clutch noise at low revs. Some can sound horrendous, as if the engine is about to go pop, and the noise can sound like it's coming from somewhere else.

the stand isn't meant to flick up by the way.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Clive Martin View Post
                    Hi, Thanks for the kind words from those who have replied.

Hi David,
                    All I know about the bike is that it came in from Holland or Belguim (that bit didn't quite log in) The guy I got the bike from got it registered in the UK and then put it up for sale.
                    When I went and looked at the bike the starter was siezed, so it had to be bump started. It was a quiet engine But the carbs needed balancing.
                    I trailered the bike home. I got and fitted another starter motor, but upon starting the bike I was getting quite a lot of rattling from the rotor side. I took the rotor off and found the three bolts that hold the starter clutch on were loose. I have locktighted them back in, put it all back together and restarted it. Exactly the same noise, so I am now looking at buying a complete new starter clutch in the hope of sorting the problem out.

Being able to start the bike has ment I have been able to balance the carbs, which I have done today. While it was running my son went round the engine with a stethascope and said the noise was all coming from the starter clutch side.
                    The noise dissapears at about 1800 rpm and the bike sounds very nice. The stand flicks up as soon as you take the weight off of it and this concerns me a bit, I am not sur if this is supposed to happen.
                    Some of the gauges do not work at the moment and I think I wouls like to fit some indicators.
                    My frame mumber is GS1000-522779
                    Engine number GS1000-144855
                    My log book states decleared manufactured 1980
                    The bike has an 18 inch rear wheel.[ATTACH=CONFIG]41207[/ATTACH]

I seem to be having trouble posting more pictures.
                    Regards Clive
                    Clive, thanks for the response, your bike is a 1979 model and it looks like it's a fairly early one, I have 3 other VIN's from the UK with VIN numbers in the same range as yours. ( the 1979 "S" models first unit started with VIN 521285 apparently) the earliest number I have is 521306
                    Your engine number quite a bit higher than the others in the UK I have listed, but it may still be the original engine as Suzuki didn't have a very organized numbering system from what I can tell.

BTW your sticker on the headstock will show the date of mfg if it's still in good condition.

Parts are still available for these engines/bikes, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting parts and sorting out the issues described.

Suzuki UK have the Vintage OEM parts program available to you and the GS1000S is included in their list of bikes supported, so hopefully you can find what you need over there.

MoreBikes.co.uk features all the latest motorcycle news, reviews, events and kit. Get latest bike launch reports as they happen; kit reviews; events; know-how and compelling blogs to enjoy every day. You’ll find a mixture of the best photography, great videos, and the hottest kit news before anyone else.

If you want stock turn signals plenty are available on ebay or from a bike breaker in your area, same for all GS1000s 78-1980 C/E/S etc.

As far as modification done to your bike, apart from the obvious items, Seat and Front Fender, it looks like you have drilled front disks and stainless steel brake lines, rearset foot pegs, Pods rather than standard airbox, 4-1 pipe, black painted engine and missing the very rare OEM mirrors.

Not that much work to bring back to original if that's your thing but it looks pretty nice the way it is.

Regards,

David

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                      ...missing the very rare OEM mirrors.
                      Not all countries/markets received the stubby fairing mirrors. Obviously, US and Canada S models did; wonder what other markets received them?
                      '80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                        Not all countries/markets received the stubby fairing mirrors. Obviously, US and Canada S models did; wonder what other markets received them?
                        We had a choice over here - fairing mounted or standard handlebar mounted.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          We had a choice over here - fairing mounted or standard handlebar mounted.
                          Ah, so perhaps mirror styles were an option. Thanks for clarification.
                          '80 GS1000ST
                          '92 ZX-11
                          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Clive, I just did a comparison between Parts Outlaw in Florida USA and the Suzuki UK site linked in the article I posted above.

Parts Outlaw is selling the Starter Clutch Assembly, item #4 for $163 US and the UK site lists it at $231 pounds ($360 US) more than double, looks like you guys are getting an awesome deal on your parts, ............... NOT.

We couldn't find the page your were looking for, it may have moved or no longer be available.

Shop online for OEM Starter Clutch parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS1000S, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
                            Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a great start.

Comment

Working...
                              X