Hello from New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from New Mexico

Hello all, first post here to introduce myself. This past weekend I picked up a 1980 1100 seems pretty solid and complete. Worst part is the paint. It was painted with a rattle can. Has 51 thousand on the clock. I have only logged about 20 miles one trip to and back from work... 20150809_171727.jpg

Welcome!! Bike looks good in the photo!
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Welcome,

Your ride doesn't look too bad even with a rattle can tank. I lived in Alamogordo for a bit--left in July 2014. I'm guessing you're in ABQ?

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Looks good to me. Paint is one of the easier fixes. Hopefully it runs as good as it looks. And welcome to the site.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Seat look nice for a change. Also those are kinda cool balogna slice pipes. I assume these are not the OEM pipes just cut? The only thing missing is the rear blinkers? You can probably find some other bars that might be a bit more comfortable as well.

I had a 1982 750EX and you want to make sure the front forks are in good shape (clean and proper oil levels) and a fork brace will also help. Not the greatest thing at higher speeds (over 85mph) but below that pretty decent comfortable ride. The Avon Roadriders are also a good choice when you need tires. There are instances of tires cracking but apparently it is mostly cold weather (but not always) but IMO the tires are worth the small risk.

If you are thinking of getting one, double check this is the correct one.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-13-2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, its running nice has a little bit of rattle but mellows out when the clutch is pressed. I have no Idea on pipes po said they were stock. I asked when I heard it. a ilttle sound but not too loud. I thougt the seat was cool. the bike original color was silver with red pinstripes... The tires seem to be pretty new Ill have to look at the date to be sure. do these seem to be stock bars? I have no Idea..

I went to alamogordo to pick up this bike. A guy nice guy in the airforce had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albuq. Henry View Post
              Thanks for the comments, its running nice has a little bit of rattle but mellows out when the clutch is pressed. I have no Idea on pipes po said they were stock. I asked when I heard it. a ilttle sound but not too loud. I thougt the seat was cool. the bike original color was silver with red pinstripes... The tires seem to be pretty new Ill have to look at the date to be sure. do these seem to be stock bars? I have no Idea..

I went to alamogordo to pick up this bike. A guy nice guy in the airforce had it.
              Hello back from NM, I'm in Las Cruces, dang I think that was the 1100 I almost bought. Was his first name John?
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

hello nice to see another New Mexican maybe one day we can meet up...No not john it was Brady I am thinking.... looks younger but had said he was at 10 years in the service... I picked it up on this past sunday

Comment

Working...
                X