Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am New to the GS

Hey Guys, Girls

I just bought my first GS bike. It is a 1983 GS550 cruiser style. I think that is an L type. I am also a member of the xj forms which is helpful with my xj550. Those guys are awesome if you happen to have an xj. Not to be competition, I love my Yamaha and I can't compare it yet with the gs because I do not have the gs running.

It is a project bike. Apparently, the guy I bought it from attempted to change the clutch cable and it all when awry after that. Taking it apart, using the Clymer as a guide, I found the clutch basket in tack but the pump drive gear broken and the sleeve hub broken. Along with one of the washers chewed up up likely from hitting it with something trying to take the sleeve hub off. He said he dropped something on the clutch cable side while attaching it, and I can't determine what it may be. It seems everything there is in tack except the chain sprocket is missing a washer on the nut side. But that is a separate issue.

I was able to find a clutch basket assembly from a 1983 E model, I would like to know if that is the same as the cruiser or L model?

In any case, I would appreciate any input or info you guy put in and look forward to enjoying this GS. And BTW my wife likes the look of the gs over the xj so I may be spending more time on once I get it going. We'll see.

Welcome! If the basket you bought was from a 550 E, then you can be sure it fits. Not sure about other engine sizes.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I was having trouble differentiating from the various models, so I was unsure about ordering it. I found one on ebay quite reasonable, I think. If the E will fit then I will ordering it right away. Though it does not come with the clutch plates. I still have the ones that came with the bike. I am unfamiliar with doing clutch work first timer. So I am taking this slow. How do know the plates are good?

Comment

Originally posted by Trainer6 View Post
        In any case, I would appreciate any input or info
        Sell up. The house, car, wife, kids, pets too. You need the cash

Clutch plates. Thickness and visible damage. Download the appropriate service manual for you model from the following site.

Comment

Thanks Joe79. Checking out the downloads now. Love the Pascal quote. Pascal is one of my favorites. Despite the criticism of the Pascal wager, he is known for many other insights about God and religion.

Comment

Working...
          X