Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS1000EC 1978 new to me

Hi
    Just picked this uk 1978 Suzuki GS1000EC up, going to give it a lookover to see
    what needs sorting,rides well just poping a tiny bit on tickover,so carbs off for
    a clean and new bits as needed

Need to locate the carb rubbers for this (airbox to carb rubber boots) ?
    carbs VM 26 i think
    also what handle bars suit this bike ?

Any thing to lookout for on this model

Cheers

SL383222.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2015, 12:16 PM.

Nice looking skunk for sure. I try to use Z1 enterprise as often as I can, they will also order in any OEM parts if they don't have them. A lot of people are using PartsOutlaw for OEM parts as well. Euro bars or super bars are the ones lots of people are putting on their GS1000's. If you're doing a carb rebuild you'll want a rubber o-ring kit from Robert Barr and as well you can get the o-rings for your intake boots from him as well. Looks like the bike has some nice extra's on it, stainless steel brake lines, progressive rear shocks, nice 4 into 1.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

In their wisdom Suzuki never sold the airbox to carb rubbers separately. As the chances of finding a complete box with soft rubbers is virtually nil you'll either have to live with what you've got, ditch the box and use pods or do what I did. Take a look at below - works fine and they look exactly the same.

MandP do a set of handlebars that are very close to the originals.

Enjoy your new bike.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Nice looking ride, grana.
        Black is beautiful.
        To my eye, the front wheel/fender gap does not seem quite right. Is it an 18" wheel? Maybe a 90/90 tire?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm a little partial to that bike. I think there is a solution that will soften the boots, have to look it up, but I'm no stranger to Pods and a Stage-3 jet kit either. https://goo.gl/photos/PFCXiC3hvRTEhrse7
          Last edited by OldVet66; 09-14-2015, 12:42 AM.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Nice looking ride, grana.
            Black is beautiful.
            To my eye, the front wheel/fender gap does not seem quite right. Is it an 18" wheel? Maybe a 90/90 tire?
            Looks like oversize one size front and rear, like mine, makes it handle like it's on rails. The bars you have are quite comfortable.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hi
              Thanks for all the info and comments,going to order the carb o ring kit and look into the 2 options
              for the carb boots softening them or hampshirehogs suggestion of fitting the GS750 ('76 to '79 model).
              Part number 13728-45010 intake boots i would like new ones

As for the wheels just had a look
              Front tyre is a 100/90/19
              Back tyre is a 130/90 17

Front Mudguard (Fender) is an aftermarket one

Just starting to get abit cold and dark on the night now here in the UK

Cheers

Comment

Go here and get the 16 ounce bottle of wintergreen oil ( COMERCIAL GRADE ). Soak the intake manifilds for 24 HRS. and airbox rubbers in it for over night. They will be as soft and supple as the day they were made. And my opinion is a 120 rear tire handles better than a 130..but thats just for me and my 1000s.

Buy pure Wintergreen oil along with other therapeutic grade essential oils from Bulk Apothecary. We have some of the best prices online for pure Wintergreen essential oil.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck if you balance the 130/90 with a 110/90 up front (my rims are not tubeless) they fit nicely and first impression is it slows down searing with more effort. When you get used to it, flicks as easy as the new 349 LB. CB300F I just got for my daughter with radials. Well not quite you get the picture and it handles like it's on rails. Back tire alone really messes with handling, not bad but feels like it falls into turns and the back swings out and has to catch up with the arc of the turn. Front and back up sized feels like it aligns almost instantly and like I said on rails. Thanks for refreshing my memory with the Wintergreen oil, I had forgotten. When I was a kid a neighborhood friend said it was melted wintergreen lifesavers. Quite poisonous. Maybe that was a mental block for the bad experience and Hospital stay. Bottom line, keep the stock size or go up one size but keep them in the design proportion. Do not just put a bigger tire on the back because it looks cool it will mess with handling.
                  Last edited by OldVet66; 09-17-2015, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X