New member, old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, old bike

I have an 83 GS1100E that I bought new in 84. I traded in a 78 GS750 for it that I bought a year old used, so I have been a long time gs owner. The 1100 sat in the garage for about 15 years virtually unused. About 4 years ago I got the bug to get it back on the road and paid a local repair shop a whole lot of money to rebuild the carbs and front fork. The next spring when I went to get it on the road there was a puddle of fluid under the fork and a major fuel leak from the carbs and I gave up and let it sit until now. I once again have the bug to get it on the road by next spring.

Welcome- you have arrived at right place to help get your bike going properly. That guy in the mirror is your best hope to do the required maintenance. Have you seen the Basscliff link on common issues?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I took a quick look at the link, there is a lot of stuff there. I have quite a lot of reading to do I think. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wrd2 View Post
        I took a quick look at the link, there is a lot of stuff there. I have quite a lot of reading to do I think. Thanks!
        If you back up in that link, you'll see this info overload on how-to-do stuff...

the good news is these critters are real reliable once you (yes, you) cope with their issues- that's what this forum is all about.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome to the site and welcome back to the wonderful world of the GS.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
          X