Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS850G Owner on LI, NY

Hey all,

My names Dan. I recently purchased a GS850G on Craigslist in not running condition with a very rusty tank. It came with a 4-1 Kerker exhaust and pods that the previous owner thankfully didn't put on. I also have a luggage rack, sissy bar, and windscreen and the PPO used, but which I will be selling. Thanks to this website I got get up and running. Now to just rebuild the carbs, check the valves, and do a few other odds and ends.

I also have a question. Can anyone tell me about this seat? It looks like an L seat, but the back isn't upholstered and fits with the rear cowl/tail light housing. All the other G seats that I've seen have seats that are much more flat.

Welcome to site and nice bike you have there.

I compared your seat to an 850 I had and the seat lines appear to land where they should against the tank, side covers and tail. So, I would guess you have the original seat pan and the PO had someone add foam and a new cover.

Comment

Thanks. So far I'm happy. Got it up to 35mph today during a spin around the neighborhood using a lawnmower gas tank and no petcock. I have a petcock on order since the original was gunked up and we used it as a plug for de-rusting. The apple cider vinegar ended up turning it into silver colored mush.

The GS my first bike and just going up and down the block a few times gave me a pretty good rush. That 35 felt like 65.

As for the seat, after tome Google-fu I found this seat which looks pretty similar:
      Attached Files

Comment

I have an L and have noticed some seats like that on G's. The L seat has a distinctly defined lower section which is why they get uncomfortable after a while. My legs are long enough that I can sit comfortably on the higher section to stretch them out a bit while riding solo. But I think I would prefer the one you found on Google fu. Replica seat covers can be ordered through Pitreplica. Made in Malaysia and not expensive. Nice looking ride. Good score! Welcome to the club.

Comment

Working...
        X