Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member!! stretched+lowered+raked=very excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member!! stretched+lowered+raked=very excited!

IMG_2126.jpgHello all. just wanted to stop in and say hello. picked up this 1980 gs1000 a couple weeks ago and wanted to share with everyone as well as get some information. it has msd, web cams, head work, pistons, stretched, raked, lowered, 190 rear tire, 530 chain conversion, frame is powder coated gloss black, fresh hunter green paint, the list goes on. im stoked. the thing is, i finally got her running after sitting for over 6 years in some ones garage uncompleted only to find out the motor is shot. second cylinder on the right side has a hole in the piston, dropped a valve, chewed up the spark plug bla bla no good news lol. so much for being a running motor like the seller told me. anyway, I found on craigslist, a 1979 gs1000, and a 1981 gsx1100 (looks like gs1100). i would like to know if the 1981 1100 motor will be a semi easy swap over or if i should go with the 1979 gs1000 parts bike. i believe a couple mounts will be different and the headers will work, but what about electrical and ignition and what not. im sure some one has done this swap before i just want to pick their brain a bit. any help will be appreciated. have pictures for days if anyone else enjoys them as much as me
    Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2015, 07:18 PM.

image1.jpgso long i love it.

Comment

Don't want to burst your bubble, if thats what you like, but throw handling out the window unless straight lines are what ur riding, I'd find a stock length swing arm and shocks and redo the back 1/2, use the parts bike for the frame and s/a swap your tins, part the "long" bike out, just say'in, it looks good but you won't be riding any twisties on that.

Comment

What happened to the bungee cord that holds up the center stand.
        81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Looks like a safe and comfortable ride.

Have a look at the mega-welcome in my signature below, it will point you to service manuals and loads of other information on your bike.

The 1980 GS1000 is an 8-valve engine and the 1981 GS1100 is a 16-valve engine. They are almost completely different. I'm sure they would swap with some fabrication but the 1979 GS1000 is a better bet
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

lol howd u know that!? stand is off now btw, this is an older pic.

Comment

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
              Don't want to burst your bubble, if thats what you like, but throw handling out the window unless straight lines are what ur riding, I'd find a stock length swing arm and shocks and redo the back 1/2, use the parts bike for the frame and s/a swap your tins, part the "long" bike out, just say'in, it looks good but you won't be riding any twisties on that.

thanks for the input i appreciate it, however this bike was not made to go through the twisties, it will be for the drag stip and maybe a possible ride through town from time to time. i bought the bike because it was long i deff am not going to make it short again haha

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                Looks like a safe and comfortable ride.

Have a look at the mega-welcome in my signature below, it will point you to service manuals and loads of other information on your bike.

The 1980 GS1000 is an 8-valve engine and the 1981 GS1100 is a 16-valve engine. They are almost completely different. I'm sure they would swap with some fabrication but the 1979 GS1000 is a better bet
                i realize there are internal differences. but from the outside they look fairly similar. and i thought i remembered reading that the 1100 jugs will go on the 1000 bottom end. not to mention the gs1000 has 40k miles on it, and the gs1100 has like 2500, so i really dont wanna hear that the gs1000 is my better bet lol. i already assumed, just want to find someone with previous experience in doing the 1100 swap if possible. thanks for all the help and input it is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Not saying you can't drop in an 1100, just that it will be more work than the 1000. The 1100 is very popular in drag racing and we have a few builders here that will surely answer any and all questions you might have.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    Not saying you can't drop in an 1100, just that it will be more work than the 1000. The 1100 is very popular in drag racing and we have a few builders here that will surely answer any and all questions you might have.
                    thanks, i have talked to a number of people on this forum already and they have all said it is a pretty straight forward swap. is this something you have tried before and had trouble with? from the information that i have gathered everything will swap over with the exception of a couple of mounts.

Comment

Make the swap to the 16 valve motor, you will never look back. The 8 valve motor is limited in what you can do to it, how big it will go & availability of hot rod parts.
                      Ray.

Comment

IMG_2323.jpgok so i purchased a 1981 gs1100x today. i swapped the motor over to my 1980 gs1000 but i am haveing some problems. what mounts dont line up? cuz it appears that im have ing problems with a bunch of mounts lining up. im close, but not there yet. the front two and the bottom two mounts seem to be off. also this electral peice that screws in with two screws behind the sprocket. what is it? i guess i have to swap over the entire harness from the 1100 to the 1000?

Comment

Proto-Busa!
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I have a 1982 gs1100glz shaft drive that I am modifying and had the swing arm and drive shaft extended out by 10". I will be making the bike into a single seat, springer type with several other design modifications. I have 2 of these bikes, and the one pictured is not subject to the modifications, I only placed the extended swingarm beside it for photo and comparison. SWINGARM SIDE.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by jkrum87 View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]42262[/ATTACH]ok so i purchased a 1981 gs1100x today. i swapped the motor over to my 1980 gs1000 but i am haveing some problems. what mounts dont line up? cuz it appears that im have ing problems with a bunch of mounts lining up. im close, but not there yet. the front two and the bottom two mounts seem to be off. also this electral peice that screws in with two screws behind the sprocket. what is it? i guess i have to swap over the entire harness from the 1100 to the 1000?

Looks like the sending unit for the gear shift indicator.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment