Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi From PA

Hey All,
    Well, I've had my 1980 GS650GL for about 8years and have loved and hated it. Loved it while riding it, hated it when it was down. When I bought her she was a basket case and still has plenty of wrinkles to smooth out. She initially smoked more than Aunt Bertha and started worse than me with out my morning cuppa'. She also went through a few starter solenoids. Since I got her for $350, I've put nearly double that getting her on the road LOL. I was watching a set of jugs on ebay (for the bike, not lady bit kind) when the trans locked up on me. I pulled the motor and found the cylinders to be un-fixable. Then I found out it didn't have the right carbs (and pod filters to boot). Bought the airbox and a used set of carbs. I guess I just don't know how to say I give up LOL. She's still got alot to get sorted but she does fine.

I was on here before but it's been a while and I couldn't even remember my old user name. LOL. A few upcoming things I'm planning on doing are expanding my fuel capacity. At this point it's about 2gallons total. I typically fuel up at 1.5 or less (usually inside of 70 miles). I'm debating whether trying to fit a GS1000/850 tank on there, fabricating a new one or fabricating an auxiliary fuel tank. Any input would be great!
    Another issue I've got is that it doesn't stay running while she is on her side stand. Any insight in that would be much appreciated as well. I didn't intend to talk about my bike issues here as I have yet to search but figured since I'm blabbing on and on...

Thanks for letting me bend your ear and I'll try to keep you all posted!

gs650-1.jpg She Also needs a new side cover and maybe a new paint scheme along with some other touches. The front brake is spongy so I'm looking to either rebuild that this winter or replace with an aftermarket unit.

Comment

Welcome back to the site.
      Plenty of power from the stock brakes. A rebuild and you will be fine. If you replace anything go with steel braided lines.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll look into it!

Comment

We're neighbors!! I live in Etters(Lewisberry/New Cumberland are)

Comment

Working...
          X