New Project Bike! 1982 GS850!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Project Bike! 1982 GS850!

Hi all, just swinging by to say hi in anticipation of picking all of your brains'.

My father's coworker was getting ready to junk a bike he hadn't ridden in over 10 years... his '82 GS850. Since I've already got a 2012 Daytona 675R, he asked me if he should bring it home for me before this guy tosses it to the curb.

...obviously I wasn't going to say no to a FREE BIKE!

So with at least some of my garage space free'd up, I finally brought the bike in last night to get a feel for where she's at and see if she's even worth the trouble.

You can almost sense the jealousy that my car is feeling right now, knowing that something else has got my attention!

Initial impressions were that the battery was toast. Turning the key onto pos. 2 wouldn't light anything up, so I set it aside to charge. In the meantime, I wheeled over a spare care battery I had and hooked it up. I saw lights up on the dash, so that was a good start!

Did a quick function check and the horn came to life after a few attempts, the headlight(s) work, brake lights work, and left turn signal works.
    Right signal is out.

So far so good. There was some semblance of oil in the crank, so...let's see if she cranks!

The tank was empty, but a peek inside with a flashlight and a borescope didn't show any signs of rust or debris! I disconnected the fuel line down to the carbs and rerouted it into an empty water bottle, and noticed the petcock was stuck shut. After some penetrating spray was added and left to work it's magic for a few minutes, it wriggled it's way fee. Then I poured some gasoline through it to make sure no contaminants were flowing out of it.

Hooked the fuel line back down into the carbs, added a little choke, and then...

"crank, crank, crank"

"crank, crank, crank, sputter"

"crank, crank, sputter, sputter"

"crank, vroooooooom"

Here's what she sounded like!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

She runs! And holds a decent idle! I'm not sure what caused the abrubt shutdown. I'm not sure if the choke was open or not.... Although a puddle of fuel developed on the floor and it looks like there's a leak out of the "boot" on cyl. #2 because fuel was dribbling out.

The brakes are seized to the rotors. Or, rather, the pistons in the calipers won't retract all the way, so it took 2 people just to "roll" this bike 30 yards. 30 yards took about half an hour. I'll have to unstick those and see what needs to be done

My agenda so far:

1. Rebuilding the carbs.
    2. Valve adjustment.
    3. Syncing the carbs.
    4. Brakes (when she's ready to become road worthy). I pulled the calipers off for now to let me roll it around the garage for the time being.
    5. New tires (when she's ready to become road worthy)

This is my first carb'd ANYTHING, so I'm going to be doing a lot of this for the first time!

Looking forward to recommendations, and I'll spend plenty of time reading here! Maybe I can do a day or two of riding before it starts snowing here in New England!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2015, 02:17 PM.

Freee? wow. Nice!, Daytona -you'll want to go here
    BikeCliff's Website

and read up, but I think you've got a runner there-vrooom!...Your dad's friend looks to have taken good care of the bike so changing fluids, and un-sticking stuff might be the "most of it".
    try not to lose bits... lot's of little jars and labels to remind you of where stuff goes. Stick to one, maybe two jobs at a time is what I would say, but you look to be more organized than I am! (but I have a dolly for a starter-battery too!)

Comment

Welcome to the forum DaytonaR. All the information you need can be found on BikeCliff's website (including OEM service manuals) and this forum.

The GS850 is a great bike and you will enjoy it just as much as your 675R. I bought a new GS850 in 1981 and also have a 2007 non-R 675, so I have experience of both these fine machines!

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Sure looks in better shape than mine did when I first started. I would go with new braided stainless brake lines while you are at it. The old ones are well past due replacement and likely gunked up. Have fun and welcome to the gang.

Comment

Nice intro, Daytona.
          Hard to believe he would give away a running bike but good score for you.
          Being nosey....tell us about the project up on jacks in the background.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by DaytonaR View Post
            She runs! And holds a decent idle! I'm not sure what caused the abrubt shutdown. I'm not sure if the choke was open or not.... Although a puddle of fuel developed on the floor and it looks like there's a leak out of the "boot" on cyl. #2 because fuel was dribbling out.
            Fuel leaking out of the number 2 carb would indicate a leaky petcock. Replace it. Also, check your oil for fuel in it, some may have leaked into your crankcase.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

2BRacing, love the color on yours! I'm sure you get looks everywhere! I'm expecting the girlfriend will enjoy cruising around on the GS wayyyy more than on the Daytona!

Steve M.,

I'm swapping a TDI (diesel) engine into my Audi Allroad 6spd. They're finally bringing Audi TDI wagons to the US... but they come with a huge price tag. The '01 - '04 Allroad is a pretty robust car, so I've sold off the 2.7TT and origianl 6spd manual and I've dropped in my own TDI that I had lying around, I've imported a transmission from Europe, etc... It'll be my 2nd (or was it 3rd?) conversion from gasoline to diesel on one of my cars. I'm waiting for my turbo to come in so that I can wrap it up before winter get's here. My RWD car won't be much worth to me in the next month or so!

To everyone else, thanks! I'm hoping that I'm not trying to be too ambitious right now. We'll see what my spare time looks like these next few weekends!

Comment

Originally posted by DaytonaR View Post
                2BRacing, love the color on yours! I'm sure you get looks everywhere! I'm expecting the girlfriend will enjoy cruising around on the GS wayyyy more than on the Daytona!
                Thanks DaytonaR, yes, the Scorched Yellow is a very distinctive colour. Only one other 675 in that colour around here.

I go for breakfast runs and other trips on the GS850 with my wife. She refuses to ride pillion on the 675, so I fitted the solo cowl and use this bike for "me time" runs.

Good luck with your projects!
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

nice find, they work real fine, if you ever decide you going to take that KG back rest off I'm looking for 1 and will buy

Comment

Congratulations. That's quite a score.

Comment

Working...
                    X